16 August 2016

A Letter To My Daughter's Future Kindergarten Teacher

A Letter To My Daughter's Future Kindergarten Teacher: I don’t know what this new school year will bring for either of us. I don’t know what to expect in this new world. I don’t know what the rules are and how the day runs but what I do know is this: that every day, I’ll be amazed by how much my daughter is learning and just how fast and fleeting it will all be. I know that she will blossom and bloom where she is planted and that you will have a hand to play in all of it. I know that no matter what comes our way, we’ll get through this year together.


Dear Teacher,

We haven’t met yet so allow me to introduce myself: I’m Courtney, and I’m Maddy’s mom and on next Monday, my daughter will be in your care during the day. She is so excited to start “big girl school” which makes me happy but on the other hand, I'm a little scared and sad, too.


To be completely honest with you, I have a lot of anxiety about reaching this milestone. I worry about my daughter. I worry about her making new friends easily and fitting in. She can be painfully shy. I worry about her getting into trouble. She can be very stubborn and strong-willed when she wants to be. I worry about her losing her love of learning as I’ve seen it happen to other kids as they start school. I’m worried that she will get lost in her new surroundings. She can sometimes be forgetful. It’s hard to see a part of your heart grow up and walk out the door.




But I promise you, it’s not all gloom and doom that comes to mind when I think of Maddy starting Kindergarten. Quite the opposite, actually. Naturally, as her mom, I’m so proud and excited for her as this new chapter of her life unfolds. Over the next year, she will learn so much; math, music, art, life lessons, English and a small taste of science. You will have a huge part to play in her love of learning and I know you will remember this as you take on each day. I know you will be there for her, to support her and help her grow. I know this, and thank you. Since I cannot be, I want you to know a few things about Maddy.


Please know that she is painfully shy and will take some time for her to warm up. Just because she is quiet, it doesn’t mean that she’s not interested in her school work or her classmates. Quite the opposite, really, so please, don’t let her get lost in the shuffle. If she hasn’t gone to the bathroom in a while, please ask her if she needs to go. I would hate for her to have an accident. Please make sure that she has someone to sit with at lunch and someone to play with on the playground. I remember how daunting a new school with new friends can be at such a young age and it breaks my heart to think she might be lonely. Please be patient with her when she talks excitedly. She gets so wound up that she stutters and repeats herself. I know that it might come at the most inconvenient times, but please try to find the beauty in her goofy, funny humor. I know that one day, you will find the happiness in her laugh like her father and I do. Please let her try to do things on her own first. Independence is something that’s very important to Maddy. Above all, when it’s needed, don’t ever hesitate to give her a hug, a high five or a smile. It will encourage her and lift her spirits more than you will ever know.



So, with all of this in mind, and before the school year kicks off in a chaotic haze, I just want to say thank you. Thank you for all you will do to help Maddy relish in the joy of learning. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for learning her name the first week of school and for taking the time to get to know her personality and what makes her unique. Thank you for always encouraging her to dream big and work hard. Thank you for all the late nights you’ll spend planning school work and projects. Thank you for using your own money to equip your classroom so that your students have what they need to learn and grow. Thank you for your patience with us, the mom and dad, as we navigate this new land. Unlike most explorers in the pursuit of learning, we have no map. Most of all, thank you for your commitment.



I don’t know what this new school year will bring for either of us. I don’t know what to expect in this new world. I don’t know what the rules are and how the day runs but what I do know is this: that every day, I’ll be amazed by how much my daughter is learning and just how fast and fleeting it will all be. I know that she will blossom and bloom where she is planted and that you will have a hand to play in all of it. I know that no matter what comes our way, we’ll get through this year together.


I know your job is difficult, often times challenging beyond belief. Your job is truly one of the most important professions in our society. I can only imagine how much of it you take to heart. Having said all of this, next Monday, I will entrust you with my heart, Monday through Friday, for seven hours a day. Thank you in advance for being gentle with it. 



Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

3 comments:

  1. Kindergarten is my favourite grade to teach. I know your daughter will do well, kindergarten teachers don't take their jobs lightly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 3 year old is just starting an early childhood program this year for 2 days a week and I'm already feeling anxious. Good luck with your little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is only 2 and I'm already anxious about when she goes to school! I'm sure both of you will do wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete