22 January 2013

Going to the Chapel?

Tis the season! Wedding season is right around the corner and boy have I felt its effects. Over the past week, 5 of my friends have become engaged. And while I'm over the moon thrilled for them, it has left me rethinking my own views of marriage.


For a very long time now, I've been living under the line of thinking that not being married is no big deal to me. That having a "piece of paper" doesn't define relationships. However, I think this is where my line of thinking is flawed. 

The biggest argument you will hear against marriage is that a piece of paper isn't that big of a deal; that it shouldn't define what a relationship should be. But it's not about the paper. It's not about the ring, the parties, or any of that other materialistic crap. It's not even about the pomp and circumstance of it all. It's about the fundamental emotional connection of spending the rest of your life with that special someone who loves you like no other. And for those of you who will bring up the Christian aspect, it's not about that either. It's easy to put everything off on God. To me, it seems marriage is more of a spiritual bond than that bound by ancient philosophy and rule. 

Marriage makes a statement that no one can argue. It says that out of the millions of people in the world, this one person found you and chose you to spend their life with. That regardless of good, bad, wealth, debt, heartache, trials, joys, and well, life - they love you enough to commit to a lifetime of love no matter what may come. I guess that's the bigger picture - the commitment. 

It takes a lot to fully commit to anything let alone relationships. Relationships are hard. They take work and at times, will test everything you believe about love. To find the one person in the world who is willing to accept you on your worst day and not run is a treasure to be valued. And that's the difference between dating and marriage. 

I'm not sure how many of you will truly understand this post and where I'm coming from. I think I wrote this more as a way to get it off my mind. And maybe in some ways, even as progressive I am, there are parts of me that are classic. To me, this makes sense. And to me, I'm a girl of marriage. 

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

1 comment:

  1. We are both definitely on the same page...been married, had a baby OUT of wedlock and still happy. :) Marriage does not define a relationship, and honestly, when Chad I bought my ring, it meant more to me than BEING married. It meant everything you wrote about. It means something. Who knows WHEN we will get married, but as a girl who was AGAINST marriage, I am a marriage girl, too. :) xo

    ReplyDelete