27 November 2013

Letters to Madeline - Meet Your Mommy



Dear Madeline,

In case there's any confusion at this point as to who I am (Two years later), let me clear it up for you - I'm your mom. Your madre. One half of your parental unit. The crimp in your style for the next 16 years the rest of your life. And as much as I like to think that I'm cool, chic, and sophisticated like this
The reality is actually this
Yep, this is me - your mom...sucking on a delicious crab leg while enjoying a beer or two. I would say this is pretty standard business for me. Food is my lover and I never
trust a skinny cook. 

But seriously...

Oh, Madeline. How you've changed my life. I try to think about my life before you and in all honesty, it is hard to do. That time seems like another lifetime ago - almost an urban legend of sorts. Sure, I can think about how easy my life was before you; I could pick up and go on a moment's notice or do nothing at all. Movies were an all the time affair unlike the bits and pieces I get now, and eating out has a whole new meaning. But do you know what?

Now is so much better.

My life may have been easy before you, but it certainly wasn't fulfilled. It wasn't complete. I always knew there was something missing from my heart...you were the missing piece. You will never know how, in so many ways, you saved me. I am so honored and proud to be your mommy.

So what is there to know about me? Well, I was born on a June morning at 5:30 am in Nashville, TN. I came into the world crying and screaming and haven't stopped since. :-)
 I lived in Tennessee until around the age of 7 when Poppy accepted a job that would take our family to Rocky Mount, NC. From then on until I graduated high school in 1995, we lived in Rocky Mount. Some of the best memories I have of my youth were made there. I hope to take you back there one day.

After high school, I attended Middle Tennessee State University and majored in Mass Communications with minors in Political Science and English. I became a member of Kappa Delta Sorority, and had the opportunity to travel, enjoy college, and live life to the fullest. (This would also be known as the majority of my drunken years, all-nighters, and road trips. The other way just sounded better. ;-) )

From there, life happened. I was thrown into the real world and quickly realized that meeting friends for drinks at 10 pm wasn't such a great idea since I had to be up at 6 AM for work. Making excuses for why projects didn't get done didn't fly with my boss, and paying bills got real really quickly. So yeah, long story short, I became old.

I was married.
Then divorced.
Then your dad came along.
And that's another story for another letter. :-)

Aside from this, here are some other things you should know about me:

Likes:
Positivity, humor, and a great smile
Christmas
Fall
The beach
A great book
An even better glass of wine (Shiraz of course!)
Sushi & Mexican foods (OK let me be honest - I've rarely met a food I didn't love hence the picture above)
Entertaining friends & family
Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr. Who, and pretty much anything geek
Kappa Delta (You are a legacy!)
Tennessee and all things TN sports
Philanthropy
F. Scott Fitzgerald, Edgar Allen Poe, and Claude Debussy
Pearls
Class, manners, and humility
Frequent pedicures
Dark rooms with lit candles
Family
Antique shops 
Monograms
Snow
Warm sweaters, cozy socks, and boots
Cooking and baking
Working
Romance
Overcast, cloudy days
Napping (If I could make money at this, we would be millionaires)
Board games, card games
Crafts of any kind

Dislikes:
Bad hygiene
The way I smell after leaving a Subway
Mean people
Apathy
The Sun
Horror movies
Screaming
Door slamming
Being so far away from my family
Boob sweat
Straitening my hair
Laundry
Energy efficient bulbs (They give off horrible light!)
Technology that doesn't work
Dishonesty
That one day our pets will die...because they are such a special part of our family and you absolutely adore them
Humidity
Math 
Smoking

Truth be told, this is just scratching the surface of me. But what fun would it be for me to tell you everything at once? 

Maddy, every day I have with you is one more day than I deserve. You are the light of my life and I am so incredibly lucky to be your mommy. Our days together won't always be great but I promise you this - no matter what happens very simply, I will always love you. Only you know how strong my love is for you. After all, you are the only one who has ever heard my heartbeat from the inside. Forever and always, I love you.

Love,
Mommy










Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

6 comments:

  1. So. I kinda totally love you.

    The end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I'm flattered! No really! I'm blushing and that isn't an easy thing to make me do. :-) You are too kind. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  2. This is so awesome! Madeline is going to LOVE reading these as she gets older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Desiree! I hope so...or she may be saying WT heck??!! ;-)

      Delete
  3. this letter is fabulous and warmed my heart after a long tiring day (maybe week?)! I'm glad I'm behind on my blogs because I needed to hear this today! so sweet! give that little girl of yours a big hug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny!! You are so sweet and too kind. I was able to get in a lot of snuggles today.

      Delete