27 January 2014

The Birth Diaries - Madeline's Birth

Happy Monday, friends!

Today, I'm pleased and honored to be sharing Madeline's birth story on one of my favorite daily blog reads, Hand and the Heart. Andrea has an amazing and engaging writing style that I quickly became attracted to. Couple that with her honest, witty, and true look into parenthood and it's easy to see why I fell in love with her blog
Back in December, Andrea started a new series entitled, 'The Birth Diaries.' To quote Andrea, the purpose of 'The Birth Diaries' is to:
"use this space as a way to connect with other mothers and help one another with love and grace. So often as women we are shut down, and aren't given a place to explore and express our emotions, especially if we have had an unexpected birth experience and are struggling to understand our feelings about it. I hope this serves as a place to learn from each other, offer support and education, and give others a chance to empathize and gain perspective."
Out of all the things I've talked about here on Shiraz In My Sippy Cup, I've never discussed Madeline's birth and how hard it was on me, how much of a disappointment it became, and my journey to finding peace with it all...until now. When Andrea so kindly offered me the opportunity to share my story in her series, I immediately said yes. Thank you Andrea, for offering me the chance to share my story and for being a part of my healing process. 

So friends, head on over to 'The Birth Diaries' now to check out mine and Madeline's birth story which is featured today and while you're there, take some time to check out Andrea's blog. You won't regret it - it's good stuff and good for the soul. 

Love to all,

 
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

2 comments:

  1. Courtney you are so amazing. Your words are some of the most powerful I have ever read. Thank YOU for opening up your heart and sharing today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, I went through a very similar experience with Shannon. Seventeen hours of labor followed by an emergency C section and I don't have any recollection of her first moments in this world, either. There are photos, and clearly I'm in them, but I have no memories of her birth after the c section began.

    I can remember pacing the halls in the middle of the night during my five day stay in the hospital, seeing other moms on my floor with their babies, saying to myself "I bet THAT mom got to experience a normal delivery" and feeling so much jealousy and anger and sadness. I didn't think that feeling would ever go away.

    My grandmother had told me that my mom had a difficult delivery with me and to tell my doctor. I did, and he dismissed it, said I would be fine. The morning my water broke, the nurse was examining me at the hospital and immediately told me there was no way I was going to have a vaginal delivery. Just like my mom, my pelvic bones were too narrow. I have yet to understand how this nurse knew this in ten seconds flat after examining me, yet my doctor never noticed despite having been up there every week for the past two months.

    Thank you for sharing your experience. You are definitely not alone. AOT, Big Sis! <3

    ReplyDelete