05 March 2014

It's the Most Important Thing

If you follow me on Facebook, then you know by now that my beloved grandfather passed away on Friday. For my short 37 years, he was my grandfather, my friend, my confidant, my compass, and the father to me that I didn't have when I was born because my own had passed away. I miss him more than any words I could ever attempt to express here but I'm happy that he is finally able to rest peacefully after battling Parkinson's for well over a decade. 

I'm not in a full capacity to talk about it too much right now because I'm far too emotional and it's still too fresh for me but the one thing I wanted to share is this...

A long time ago, my PaPa told me, "Courtney - family is the most important thing you will ever have in this life. It's the only thing." After being in Georgia with my family since Friday, I have felt these words to be true more now than ever. I know this phrase repeating over and over in my head is him whispering to me, "I may be gone, but I am still with you. Remember what is truly important." 

It is by no means a little thing. It is the most important thing. The only thing. Love those who you have with you today because God will want them back one day. Be well, friends. 

{Me & my TuTu. For 65 years, she & PaPa built a family legacy that is forever a testament of love, commitment, and character.}

Thanks to Ashley for hosting this link-up.






Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss Courtney. I hope peace and comfort wash over you during this time. It sounds like he was an incredible man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry for your loss. He is right though - he will always be with you - and for now, you have this amazing picture to remember a beautiful smile. Prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Courtney, I'm so sorry. My grandfather passed away on Friday too. My heart goes out to you and your family. Sending you love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss again my friend. I agree with your Papa's advise on family especially now that I am back home. Crazy how kids make you realize stuff you didn't get before :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear this. What a wise papa he was. Cherish those memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am SO sorry for your loss. and after having him for 37 years it has to be so so hard. but i totally love him! family is totally the most important thing. and i think we way way too often lose sight of that- and take advantage of em. and now i'm off to group text my family that i love em.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry for your loss!
    Sending hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete