16 May 2014

F I V E

While going through my FB albums yesterday, I came across a lot of old photos of Chickie that I haven't seen in a while. While most of them were the every day snap shots, I was surprised to see how many of her "firsts" I've actually captured over the years. Of course there are the traditional first steps, first words, and first sitting up and the like but the more I went through them, the more I realized I captured so many other "firsts" that usually don't get the same pomp and circumstance as the big ones but are just as important {And honestly, far more endearing}. 

So without further adieu, I give you my top five favorite firsts of my Chickie:

{ONE} The first smile. 

Her highness was smiling pretty much into her second week of life and I know most people like to pass that off on gas but I don't buy that for one minute. I believe our kids come into this world with feelings and emotions and are able to express themselves to some extent through said feelings.


{TWO} Eating solid food for the first time.

After months of nothing but fluids, I can't imagine what was running through her mind. Maybe something along the lines of, "Wait just a damn minute! These fools dine on filet and I get dry cereal with water?!?"

A picture is worth a thousand words...








{THREE} The first snow.

Michael and I are both huge snow enthusiasts. Love it. Can't get enough of it. Chickie seems to feel the same!





{FOUR} Meeting my grandfather for the first time.

As most of you know, I was very close to my PaPa. When he passed in February, the overwhelming sadness I felt was due in part to knowing that Chickie wouldn't have the chance to know him as I did. He was only able to see her a few times because we lived in Colorado at the time while he was in assisted living in Georgia but my grandmother told me that he asked about Chickie all the time. Even in his last days when the Parkinson's was so bad and when he had no clue who any of us were, he knew Maddy and asked for her. 

I will never forget the last time she saw him - it was this past Christmas. We went to visit him in assisted living and when we walked in, we found him sitting in his wheelchair looking off into space with no life to him whatsoever but when he saw Chickie...oh my. His eyes lit up like a kid at Christmas and he literally squealed out in happiness. He reached out for her to come sit on his lap and said, "I've been waiting for this beauty." {And that's all I can say about that without losing it...} I'm so happy I have these pictures of her and him to treasure always.



{FIVE} First bath time pictures.

Y'all, is there anything cuter or better than a baby at bath time?!  I don't think so!




We're off to grandma and poppy's house this weekend for some much needed family, rest, and relaxing time. Have a great weekend everyone!






XO,

Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

6 comments:

  1. I'm dying at these' she's changed so much and so little all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels so surreal to see these pictures. I try so hard to remember what life was like back then and while I remember some things better than others, it seems like a million years ago. It's fun to look at her baby pics and find the resemblance now.

      Delete
  2. She's got so much hair now it's crazy to see baby chickie with so little hair! Those photos of her with your grandpa are the sweetest! Happy Friday my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were worried for the longest time that she wouldn't have hair but it finally sprouted. ;-)

      Delete
  3. I've only been following for a few months so I've never seen her all itty bitty! What a happy baby. Clearly you can pick just the happy pictures but she seems like such a happy one! You had me tearing up about papa. I was a papa's girl but he passed quite a few years ago, but it makes me sad that Aria will never get to know him. He would have been the bestest great papa. I feel for that loss. Those pictures are treasures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, trust me. She has her tantrum moments and I document those too! (check out my IG feed lol) Thank you for your kind words, Courtney. Losing a loved one is never easy, especially when it's someone you're close too. I'm sorry for your loss as well. Have a great week! XO

      Delete