18 June 2014

Hump Day Mommy Confessions: I'm a Liar, A Hypocrite & Dishonest



Happy Wednesday, lovelies. We’re halfway through the week so hang on! Only a few more days till the weekend. 

Today’s ‘Hump Day Mommy Confessions’ is going to be a hodge-podge of things all rolled up into one little post so bear with me today, friends.

I’ve been debating for weeks on whether or not to talk about a little feedback I received about my blog but considering that this same person who gave me the initial comments about said blog also called me a hypocrite, I guess I would be one if I didn’t talk about what’s been on my mind lately regarding this topic since I’ve pegged myself as one to “keep the talk real” so let’s dish, shall we?

I few weeks ago, I received the following comments about my blog:

“It’s a shitty little blog. I hate it.”
“You’re such a hypocrite.”
“You don’t even talk truthfully and honestly about things.”

All of these comments came from the same person who is also someone I know very well. To say that I was shocked to hear these things would be a huge understatement. It almost felt like I had been punched in the gut. I just wasn’t expecting to hear it, plain and simple. So let’s address this once and for all and move on.

I know that I’m not curing cancer with my blog. What I’m doing is nothing special. Millions of people all over the world blog each and every day and being a mommy blogger is certainly not a unique concept. There are millions of women out there writing about their lives, their kids, and how to juggle it all. I get it. I’m just a very tiny speck of sand on a very cluttered beach. Having said this, I do feel that I’ve worked hard to try and make my blog special. I started blogging for the same reasons many mothers do: to keep an electronic diary of raising their child(ren). But the more I wrote and read other blogs, I quickly learned that I wanted to do more with my little space on the Web. I found that while a lot of moms love the crafty, uplifting stuff, a lot of moms also need places where they could let their hair down to be imperfect and bitch and vent about the realities of being a parent. And that’s the purpose of Shiraz In My Sippy Cup. Come as you are, make yourself comfy, and let’s just talk about what’s really going on. Hell, stay in your pj’s if you want! But feel free to take a breath and know you’re not alone in your struggles, your thoughts, your cares, and your concerns.

But “You don’t even talk truthfully and honestly about things” you say?  Ok, let’s talk about that…

Have there been times when I’ve left out certain bits of information while talking about a particular issue or story because I was either A. Protecting the people involved who hadn’t given me permission to use their name or tell their story or B. Because not everything is for public consumption, ridicule, or scrutiny? Yep, I sure have.

Have there been times when my information may not be exactly 100% accurate because I’m referencing a story or incident that happened years ago so I’m doing my best to remember as much of the details as possible? Yep. (Hell, I’m doing great if I remember my name on a day to day basis). 

I’m guilty as charged on all accounts and I make no apologies for that because here’s the thing – while I strive to “Keep the talk real” there are certain lines a writer (and just a decent human being) doesn’t cross. So while you may think I’m being dishonest in the things I write about, the truth of the matter is that I choose to be thoughtful and considerate to the people and subject matter I discuss in my posts. It’s a thing called tact, respect, and decorum. It is also possible to write about things and be truthful about the situation without airing all the dirty laundry because really, not everything needs to be put out there. That doesn’t make a person a liar, a cheat, or a fraud. It means said person has standards, and for that, you should be grateful.

“It’s a shitty little blog. I hate it.” Well, everyone is entitled to their own opinion I guess, but the 5,000+ readers I have a month may feel differently. Oh, and let’s not forget the writing deal I just secured with a new online mom magazine where I’ll be a featured columnist each month. They must have found something in my blog that they liked albeit a “shitty” little spot on the Internet. 

“You’re such a hypocrite.” Yep, guilty as charged. I’m human. I make mistakes. I fuck up. I’m sure in my life there have been times where my mouth said one thing but my actions did another. I’m not perfect but I like to think that I’m able to own up when I make mistakes so friends, please know that if I’ve ever disappointed you in this way through my blog, you have my most sincere apologies.

In the end, do I think my blog is for everyone? No, not at all. I know there are many women who have drastically different viewpoints to mine and those who don’t feel comfortable with the things I talk about and that’s OK! To each their own. Have I tried my best? Absolutely. There is a lot that I’m still learning every day about blogging but I know in my heart that I’ve tried to do my best and do right by my readers. Truly friends, I’ve always tried my hardest to give you the honest, genuine, me. If I’ve failed you, please know how very sorry I am. My blog wouldn’t be anything if it weren’t for you guys so please know how very grateful I am for each and every one of you. Thank you for taking time out of your day and life to be a part of mine. 

On that note, I ask for your input and feedback. What do you like about Shiraz? What maybe isn’t floating your boat so much? What would you guys really like to hear me talk about? Let me know! Tell me what you love and what you don’t because truthfully, I want to know. 

Enjoy the rest of your week, friends. 


Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

10 comments:

  1. I don't have kids, but I read and enjoy your blog, and can identify with many of the issues that you discuss.

    I'm assuming that your critic is referring to (a) specific blog post(s) where you may have left out a detail or embellished something. But isn't that part of being a writer? If you told a story with only the strictest of facts, there would be no "hook", no drama, no reason to keep reading. If you called individuals out and gave every detail, people would be incensed.

    Write on sister, and fuck 'em if they don't like what you have to say. You've got a fan in me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne! I really appreciate your words and support. And I had no idea you have a blog! LOVE LOVE LOVE the name. Girl, you should do something with it! I'd follow along religiously!!

      Delete
  2. Haters gonna hate. Bitches gonna bitch. So keep getting down with your bad blog self and keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - such harsh (and dare I say childish?) comments. I admire how well you addressed each one.
    I absolutely love your piece of blogland. So often your posts strike a chord and hit oh-so close to home.
    Keep doing you, because you do it so well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Desiree!! I truly appreciate your support. I heart you!!

      Delete
  4. As a wise person once said...Opinions are like assholes....everybody's got one. And for what it's worth they are all a dime a dozen. The reason you are giving this more thought than it's worth is because it came from someone you know and whose opinion you apparently though was worth something. Society as a whole can be viewed as a bunch of dishonest liars. Most of us never tell the whole story. When have you heard your friend, family member or co-worker say, "And now for the rest of the story?" Many times in recounting an event we typically leave out bits and pieces because they may be embarrassing or an invasion of someone else's privacy and just not germane to the storyline. When was the last time your friend was highly entertained at the movie theater by some widely exaggerated story then proceeded to tell everyone they come in contact with that it is a "must see?" The fact is, life, for the majority of people is drab, boring and mundane. It is Jello. Some of us don't want jello..we want Baked Alaska or Lady Fingers and what's wrong with that? Embellishment enhances the story...it does not necessarily make the story untrue. My child is 20 and just moved to her first apartment. There's a lot of empty nest feelings here. Reading your blog conjures up all kinds of old memories that I had long forgotten and as I read your story each week, embellished or otherwise, I recall the temper tantrums and potty training and 30 hours of labor and am reminded of what a joy that precious person has been in my life. So thank you for the tears and laughter. Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion! Keep telling your story and enriching the lives of those who read it and despite the ramblings of this totally insignificant individual keep serving up that Baked Alaska. She may be comfortable with jello but the rest of us want more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truer words were never spoken. All of this!! Thanks Aunt Gabby!

      Delete
  5. This is insane. People can be so mean! I have family members (well my husband's family) who read my blog religiously and have never even mentioned it at all , not good or bad- nothing! But at the same time, mention something I said in conversation. So weird! Keep up the great work. I just found your blog today and will continue to read your AWESOME posts. Ignore these idiots!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarita! I'm so happy you follow along - I'm happy to have you!!

      Delete