23 June 2014

It Gets Easier

I think as parents it’s easy to get caught up in all the “let’s talk about what’s hard in parenting” chatter all the time. It’s easy to do really because let’s be honest – parenting is hard work. I’ve yet to find a single parent out there who’s said, “Oh raising kids? That’s a walk in the park!” While there are constant challenges to this whole parenting gig, I’ve learned that there are some things that also get easier with time so let’s get Monday started off on a positive note and dish about a few things I’ve found to be a little easier going into my third year of parenthood {Because when they are babies you know your ass isn’t getting any relief…}.

{ONE} Going Out.
Gone are the days of packing up everything but the kitchen sink to take a simple trip out to the grocery store or to run errands. Diaper bag fully stocked? Check. Formula? Check. Bottles? Check. Diapers and wipes? Check. Stroller, blankets, blah blah blah? Check and check. Nowadays when we want to get up and go, it’s as simple as slipping on the shoes, grabbing my purse, and heading out the door. Huge stress reliever in and of itself.

{TWO} Eating.
I don’t know about you guys but for the first year, our dinnertime looked something like this:
{Suck it up, kid. It could be worse - it could be your grandmother's cooking.}

Can you say war zone?
 
Getting ready for dinner in our home used to be more like preparing to go into battle: suit up, get your face protection on, and get the hose ready. Chickie went through a horrible phase {as I’m sure most kids under 1 do} of throwing and tossing her food everywhere and while our sheltie was in heaven {#fatass} it didn’t make for good times for us having to steam clean the carpets and wipe food off the walls {Side note: If you’re seriously considering this whole having kids thing, purchasing a Bissell hand held little green steam cleaner is a MUST. Seriously, the best money I’ve ever spent}. 

Fast forward to today and dinnertime is much, much easier. Now that Chickie can use utensils, a cup, is able to eat properly, and doesn’t need me to do everything for her it makes for less mess and a more enjoyable time together all the way around.

{THREE} The Ability to Get Shit Done…Easier.
It used to be that in order for me to get anything done around the house, I had to have Chickie attached to me at all times so that I could either A. Keep her asleep or B. Keep an eye on her. While I do still have to keep an eye on her {obviously} I can now roam freely around my home while Chickie is happy to keep herself occupied playing in her room or by watching a movie. I usually just stick my head in every so often to make sure she’s still alive and if all is good, then carry on! I’m a huge advocate for independent play time so now that she’s past the baby years and can understand simple commands, rules, and requests life is a little easier where that’s concerned.

{FOUR} Sleep.
To be honest with you, this is one I’m torn on. We haven’t had good sleep at all since Maddy was about nine months old. Seriously, I kid you not when I tell you that we’ve been sleep deprived for the past two and a half years. So why do I have this one on my list? Because it’s in the process of getting better and it certainly isn’t like the newborn days either so for that, I’m grateful. Unless you have children or a raging case of insomnia, there is no easy way to describe what lack of sleep will do to your life. And it’s not just lack of sleep – it’s a combination of the nights with a baby that isn’t sleeping coupled with either crying, sickness, or a baby that has its internal clock all jacked up. It’s brutal and it’s nothing to sneeze at so the fact that we’re getting more shut eye these days is a win in my book. Hey, sometimes you have to celebrate even the smallest of victories. 

So there’s my short little list of things that have grown to be easier for me as a parent as Chickie gets ready to turn three. I know there will be plenty of challenges ahead but also knowing that there are things that get easier with time is comforting. One thing is for sure – there’s never a dull moment in parenthood!

What are some things you’ve found to be easier for you as your little ones have grown up?


Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

12 comments:

  1. So true...everything gets easier in a lot of ways as they become less dependent on you. I still love that I can ask Ben to go get his shoes and he will bring them to me. I hope sleep gets easier for you...stick to your guns mama! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben is so adorable! Seriously, I love him. Just too too cute for words. I hope your week is getting off to a great start.

      Delete
  2. its seriously SO TRUE! life gets easier the older these babes get. in some ways it gets harder (hello teenage years).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm not looking forward to that at all, lol. And we think the terrible twos are bad... haha!

      Delete
  3. I love this post! Yes, it does get easier. Those first few months (year) was so hard. I can't believe we're getting ready to do it all over again!! :) CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sara! I know you're nervous but you will be fabulous with Mim and Mac. You are a beautiful woman and a great mommy. You'll rock that shiz. XO

      Delete
  4. yup yup yup! I'd add transporting...instead of having to carry them all over...they can walk! yay for legs! I'm loving how much easier food is now, less messy...much much less messy. hooray for tile floors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Excellent point. I completely forgot about that. M is in the independent stage so she wants to do everything like a big girl so carrying her is out which is fine by me! LOL

      Delete
  5. Great post! So many aspects of parenting get easier as they get older. I haven't experience much of it since I seem to have one in each phase of crazy right now. But I see the light...haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally I would say don't go to the light but girl run! RUN to the light! haha!

      Delete
  6. The diaper bag has thankfully been reduced to my normal oversized purse. #thankyoubabyjesus
    We're still battling sleep. When the hell does that get better?!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're still battling the needing so much stuff to go out. Callie just gets bored so fast if we go to the store or a restaurant I need a slew of toys, books, etc to keep her happy! But I do agree it does get easier as they get older and I love the independence!

    ReplyDelete