10 June 2014

Sloth & Gluttony - A Birthday Recap

Last week I celebrated my Birthday. 

Or as I like to refer to it - a few days week of sloth and gluttony.

I really had a great couple of days and Michael and Chickie really made this momma feel special but somehow, the only pictures I managed to get were of food.

This is so apropos for me. I would definitely be the one in the Godfather to have the line, "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." 

I heart food.

Saturday night kicked off with a babysitter and a trip to Chops on Main. We relaxed at the bar before heading to our table. Overall, it was an OK experience. Definitely not worth the hype or the price we paid for drinks and dinner but hey - we had a babysitter for the night for the first time in months. It did not matter. Y'all know #truth when you hear it.
{I've really taken to drinking dirty vodka martinis lately. I feel like I'm seriously cheating on my wine doing this.}  






Wednesday was the big day so I decided to treat my already fat and happy ass to a homemade, fat-free meal of She-Crab soup with made from scratch croutons from the lovely 40 East Grill on the downtown market. Michael will disagree with me on this but I like 40 East Grill. They buy their produce from local farmers and try to make the majority of their menu "farm to table." Our first experience here a few months ago was a little shaky because our risotto was a little crunchy {Cue an angry Gordon Ramsay "fucking risotto!!" moment} but they can cook the hell out of some scallops. And the drinks? Get out of here. 

{I can't lie. As I post this, I'm thinking this would be really good for lunch...}  

Wednesday night found us once again with a babysitter {!!} and another dinner reservation at an amazing local restaurant named South & Vine. The owner of South & Vine opened this restaurant a couple of years ago when he decided to leave his cushy job in IT because, to quote him, "I was tired of getting pissed off having to eat crappy food all the time."

Fair enough.

The food was unbelievable and I'm pretty sure South & Vine became our new favorite spot here in the 'Boro. I'm still dreaming about the potato fritters that came with my salmon. 

{Friend green tomato appetizer}
{Salmon, potato fritters, and some kind of delicious sauce that I wanted to drink by the stawful. I'm such a culinary wizard, aren't I?!}
 
{Creme brulee. AH. MAZ. BALLS.}
So there you have it. My world-wind food tour Birthday delight. In all fairness, it should be noted that the Birthday present I bought for myself was a gym membership...which I haven't used...yet. 
 
I'm getting there.
 
Have a great week, friends!
 
 

Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

7 comments:

  1. next birthday i'm coming to celebrate with you. i don't think i'll eat the weeks before or after. but man o man i'm drooling over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dying. That all looks ammmmazing.

    And a Godfather reference? Girl after my own frigging heart.

    Crème brulee is the shiznit because any dessert that requires a blowtorch is right up my alley, man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! Is there a chance I can burn down the kitchen? Then that's the dessert for me!!

      And I LOVE the Godfather - Like, a lot more than I should ever admit. I've always had a love for gangster movies; The Godfather, Goodfellas, The Sopranos - all of 'em.

      I hope you're having a great start to the week! XO

      Delete
  3. I'll take a dessert with a side of two babysitters!!! :) looks like a heck of. way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was awesome. Granted, I paid for it dearly afterwards but that's OK. Well worth it! ;-)

      Delete
  4. Baby-sitters and a tour of restaurants? Hell yes. Sounds like the best birthday (birth week;)) ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend a week of gluttony if you can swenagle it!

      Delete