04 June 2014

Well They Say It's Your Birthday...

Today is my Birthday. 

This is me at 38.
{Lovely iPhone pic.}


Old ratty nightgown, pimples, bags under my eyes, hair wet from the shower {Read: I have not showered in a day}, and puffy, bloated skin. #deadsexy

I haven't slept in two and a half years {And here I thought my all-nighters were done when I left college} and am somewhere between either not eating or gorging on donuts for dinner. As of the 16th of this month, I will have moved three times in a year and still have no idea where I'm going. At 38, I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. 

My heart as of today has been tried, tested, broken, hurt, swollen with pride, and at times overflowing with tremendous grief but through it all, it is still pieced together and beating. For that, I am grateful. 

At 38, my weight has gone up and down more than a yo-yo and confession: I still can't fit into the size 8 clothes that I've been holding onto for years with the crazy thought that, "This is the year I'm going to get back in these bad boys." 

At 38, I've had some great triumphs, some pretty epic fails, and on any given day, feel like I'm doing this mom thing totally and completely wrong. But I am a mom - the good, bad, and ugly. It's definitely not something I thought I'd ever be at 38 but I couldn't be happier wearing the label.

At 38, my life has been anything short of dull, boring, or easy. There have been times of plenty and times of depending on others to get by. I live with the most horrible luck known to man but still strive to be a hopeless optimist. 

So, at 38, while my life has been many things up to this point, it has always been mine and I am still writing its pages everyday. I'm grateful for where I am at this point on my journey and know there is a lot more road to travel. 

"Do not regret growing old. It is a privilege denied to many." / Unknown

XO,






Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

4 comments:

  1. happy birthday!! #deadsexyfor38becauseyouseriouslydontlookitatall. . . so there. celebrate today with lots of yummy food, cake, and perhaps a cocktail (or three).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl, happy birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday girl! Hope you had lots of yummy eats and DRINKS! And I really really hope your little sweetie let you get some sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. (A day late on the blog but...) HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Your day (via IG) looks like it was celebrated the right way!
    Cheers to many more great birthdays!!

    ReplyDelete