25 July 2014

Oh hey Friday!



Happy Friday! 

To steal a line from one of my favorite comedies ever:

“’Cause it’s Friday, you ain’t got no job, and you ain’t got shit to do…”

{ONE}
 

Its 37 days, 9 hours, and 52 minutes until it’s FOOTBALL TIME IN TENNESSEE.

I can barely stand it. I know a lot of you are digging on summer but can we just skip to fall already, please? I mean, who really likes ungodly amounts of boob sweat anyway?

LET’S GO VOLS!!!!




{TWO}

The University has a watermelon cutting tradition that dates all the way back to 1948. Each summer, the President invites staff, faculty, and friends of the University over to the lawn to cut watermelon and enjoy a little bit of down time during the day. The day care center on campus that Chickie goes to attends as well so Michael and I walked over to meet Chickie there to share some watermelon. She was so cute holding the big chunks of fruit! It’s nice to have these opportunities to share in her day with her and be involved with class trips. 
 

{THREE}

My latest food obsession is kale. I know, I know. I’m a little behind the times. 

I found this amazing sautéed kale recipe on Pinterest {where else} and was excited to see that when I clicked the link, it took me to Food Network’s website with it being a recipe by Bobby Flay. Let’s be honest – we all know how “iffy” Pinterest recipes can be! 

This sautéed kale is perfect and absolutely delish. It’s a very simple mix of olive oil, veggie stock, garlic, salt and pepper, and a finish of either balsamic vinaigrette or red wine vinegar, your choice. It’s amazing and it has also been on my plate almost every night this week.

 
{FOUR}
Speaking of Pinterest, I’ve found some really great quotes lately that are giving me life.





 
{FIVE}

Last but certainly not least, I want to take a moment to express my gratitude, love, and appreciation for my parents. When we leave Lawrenceville on Sunday, Chickie will be staying with them until next weekend because her day care is closed for summer break and since Michael and I just started working at the University, we don’t have enough time accrued yet to take vacation or take time off to be home with Maddy ourselves. 

As much as it’s going to kill me leaving her behind, I feel so incredibly lucky that I have a great support system and people in my life who care about our family and our well-being. Not everyone is so lucky so it means the world to me that my parents are willing to help otherwise, I don’t know what else we would have done with regards to options for day care next week. My Aunt Gabby will be there as well to help out and I’m happy that Maddy will finally have some good quality time to spend with her since she lives in Nashville and isn’t always able to make it down our way.

So thank you, mom and dad. Your help and love, to and for, our family means so much. We love you guys and appreciate all you do to help keep our heads above water!




Linking up today with Karli from September FARM for her fabulous Oh hey Friday! series.

http://farmerbell.blogspot.com/

Have a great weekend, friends!


Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

13 comments:

  1. So, replace number one with Hokies and we're in complete agreement.... :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! Um, no. ;-) At best, we can agree that we both love certain variations of the color orange, haha. Are you going to the Battle at Bristol? I would LOVE to go. Still trying to get tickets somehow so we'll see. Hope you're having a good start to the week!

      Delete
  2. What? You don't like boob sweat? So weird. I'm completely ready for summer to be over, better it never started in my book. Spring is enough for me, esp in FL. I wish we had a fall though. Maybe it'll be another cold winter! Everybody else was ready to call it quits and it was so gosh darn pleasant in FL.
    Heck yes football season! Bring it!
    Super nice that your parents could step in and help out. I'm sure they'll enjoy their time with M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we could eradicate summer all together, that would be fine by me! I've always *hated* the season with a passion.

      Delete
  3. The eyebrows comment made me LOL. For real.

    Do you follow Jon Acuff at all? This was a status update the other day: "You could be eating kale." What Jenny Acuff and I say whenever our kids complain about eating anything." Kills me! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't follow him but he sounds right up my alley! I'll have to check him out because that kale quote is too much! But seriously - it's sooooo good!!!

      Delete
  4. Southern California is basically perpetual summer. I cannot tell you how much I miss Fall. And, don't even get me started on what a joke college football is around here. Sure, USC has the Trojans, but seriously, puke.
    The watermelon tradition sounds awesome. And looks like Chickie enjoyed it thoroughly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GIRRRRRL...don't even get me started on USC. Um, Lame Kitten to be more specific. What he did to UT football is unforgivable. The day I found out he was fired on a bus in parking lot it made my month.

      Delete
  5. I need to try that sauteed kale recipe. Bobby Flay can do no wrong in my book! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fo sho. Bobby Flay is the man. I love his food. I hope you had a great weekend and a good start to the week!

      Delete
  6. I'm with Jess replace #1 with Spartans and I'm in! What I mean is I'm ready for fall and college football! I'm over summer humidity and heat. I like spring and fall and winter for like .5 seconds on the first snow and I want snow at Christmas. Your parents rock and how lucky you are so close to them now! Hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boob sweat? Shit! I got sweat in places I didn't even think had sweat glands. I'm over summer. Come on Fall.. although Texas fall sorta sucks. #truth.
    And kale... I can't handle it. Makes me gag and act a fool. I don't care how fab it is, I'm sticking with spinach. It worked for Popeye and he is pretty much the biggest badass of the sea.

    ReplyDelete