08 July 2014

Welcome to Our Home, Part One: The Dining Room

I am happy to be able to finally say that we are settled in our new home. 
 
For those of you who've recently joined Shiraz, allow me to catch you up on the last few months...

We moved to Georgia from Colorado around the end of March. At the time, we found what we thought was the perfect home for us but after we moved in, we quickly realized that it was anything but. You guys remember that movie The Money Pit? And do you remember that scene where Tom Hanks and Shelley Long go to look at the house and from what they can see, it looks like a great house until they actually get in and realize that it's anything but? Yeah, that was us. 


Needless to say, we knew that we would have to move...again. 

After much research, thought, and consideration we found this gem. 

{No, it is not a pink house. Stupid IG filters!}
This little beauty sits out in the country, is all of 7 years old {Instead of 69 years like the other home}, has lots of land for Chickie to run and play, is oh so very quiet, and has been very good to us since we moved in around early June. We are truly in love with this home and it feels so nice to finally be settled and not living out of boxes like we have been for the last two and a half months. #canigetanamen 

I've been chomping at the bit to share our home with you all. I've seen posts like this from other bloggers and I've always loved reading them. It's so interesting to see the homes of friends and how they decorate and make their house a home. I hope you'll enjoy ours. 
 
Without a doubt, the dining room is my favorite part of a home. There is so much that's centered around this one simple room: celebrations, family dinners, crafts and activities with the kiddos, and even the occasional doubling as a laundry room. #truestory. The chairs make excellent hangers for shirts to dry and the table does an amazing job for folding room. ;-)

I guess you could say our decorating style is mostly centered around mission/arts and crafts. Having said this, we both adore antiques and the occasional hint of unexpected fun and flare. We both enjoy deep, rich woods and love to let our personality show through in our home. This dining room brought me great joy to decorate as some of my favorite pieces that we own are in this room. We have a great buffet side table/curio cabinet that I knew from the get-go I didn't want to cram full of dishes. Who really wants to look at dishes all the time anyway? Instead, we switched it up for a more warm, eclectic look and I absolutely love how it turned out. So without further adieu, I give you our dining room.

The side buffet table/curio cabinet

My favorite pieces from this cabinet include:

My PaPa's toy trucks
 
Michael's antique cameras
 
My father's baby shoes & a picture of his mother, my Grandma Patterson
 
I also really love these two prints from Bombay Company. Each one hangs on either side of the large window in the dining room. So fun yet classic at the same time.


It's been a lot of work unpacking but it has also been so much fun. We've been able to go through boxes that we haven't seen in years and in doing so, have found so many great things that I even forgot we had. Next up, I'll be sharing our kitchen so stay tuned.

"Every lesson I learned as a kid was at the dinner table. Being Greek, Sicilian and Ruthenian - we are an emotional bunch. It is where we laughed, cried and yelled - but most importantly, where we bonded and connected."
- Michael Symon

XO,












 
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

8 comments:

  1. I love the cabinet in your dining room. Really beautiful. Also, very jealous you are unpacked. I still...I just can't. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend! Truth be told, if we hadn't been living out of boxes and in a mess for the past few months then I'd probably be going at a snail's pace. I think our need for order after such chaos is the only thing that motivated us. Don't sweat the small stuff. You will get done when you're ready. So much change all at once can be rough. Ease into it and give yourself enough patience and grace. You're fabulous, my dear!

      Delete
  2. I am absolutely in love with your buffet/curio cabinet. Everything that's place in, on, upon is fabulous, and clearly each pieces tells a story. LOVE LOVE LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Desiree! I appreciate that. You're so nice. :-) I really do enjoy spending time looking at it. So many great memories all in one place.

      Delete
  3. I love that buffet/cabinet!! especially those antique cameras!! I also love the bar set up in the background - yay drinks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! Doing the bar was fun. I have some things I'm hoping to add to it as time goes by and I'm SUPER SUPER SUPER excited to turn it into a hot chocolate bar during Christmas time. GAH!! XO

      Delete
  4. oooh I love the cabinet and all the things in it and on it! So awesome! Esp the cameras, much better than dishes I agree! I prefer my dishes with food on them.

    ReplyDelete