20 August 2014

It's the Little Things: Delicious Recipes - Tomato Pie




If there’s one thing I love during the hot summer months, it’s tomatoes. Combine this light, delicious, and filling veggie with a simple, easy to make dinner and you have one happy momma. 

Enter tomato pie. 

If you’re not from the South, chances are you’ve never heard of tomato pie. This is very unfortunate BUT I’m getting ready to change that for y’all and rock your tomato lovin world. Read on, get thee to a grocery store today, eat, and thank me later.

This recipe for tomato pie that I adapted from Paula Dean is amazing plus it’s quick and easy on the budget. Now how can you say no to that? Truly, it’s the little things that make me oh so very happy.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Here’s What You’ll Need:
  1. 5 tomatoes, peeled and sliced (Roma work best)
  2. 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
  3. 1/2 cup chopped green onion
  4. 1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
  5. 1 cup grated mozzarella
  6. 1 cup grated cheddar
  7. 3/4 cup mayonnaise (or half mayo, half Greek yogurt for a healthy option)
  8. 2 Tbsp fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
  9. Salt and pepper

Now Make It:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Slice your tomatoes and set aside on a separate plate. Sprinkle with salt and allow to marinate for 10 minutes. Use a paper towel to pat fry the tomatoes and make sure all of the juice is out. (You don't want wet tomatoes or your pie will turn out soggy).
  3. Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. 
  4. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
  5. Cut into slices and serve warm. 














Voila. A mouth-watering taste explosion. Give it a try and let me know what you think! 


http://wordsaboutwaverly.blogspot.com/










Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

12 comments:

  1. Oh girlfriend!!! This looks ahhh-mazing! Thanks for sharing! Can you taste the mayo in it? Sometimes the odd ingredients turn out to be the best! Can't wait to try this. Perfect to use up all those fresh tomatoes! Stopping by from the link up! Consider me your newest follower!

    plumtickledpink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda! Thanks for stopping by. :-)

      I thought the mayo was very subtle - just enough to give it flavor without being overpowering. For me, it was a perfect blend.

      I hope you like it and thanks for the follow! I can't wait to check out your blog, too. Happy Wednesday!

      Delete
  2. YUM!!!!! You know I am not from the south, but I can appreciate your food!! I may have to try this for Chad..I always love finding easy recipes that I can make!! Haha :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is so simple and easy - you should totally rock it! If you try it, let me know what you think! XO

      Delete
  3. I'm not a huge tomatoe person, but this looks delicious! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! If you try it, let me know what you think. I'm always curious as to others take on things. Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for posting this! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing! If you try it, let me know what you think!

      Delete
  5. Just the name of this meal makes me gag a little. Something about the texture of tomatoes makes me sick to my stomach.
    But on a positive note, I'm glad you enjoyed your dinner ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahahaha! Stephanie, I love you. Seriously, were we separated at birth??!!

      Delete
  6. I laughed at Stephanie's comment above. It sounds awesome to me! haha. I'd never heard of it myself though but I'm from the fake south, so that's probably why =) Is that store bought crust? like the roll out kind? or the already in a dish kind? It looks great! My store bought crust always looks like death. Just curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a Pilsbury pre-made shell. Found it in the frozen section. I thawed it out in the fridge and it was PERFECT. It baked amazingly well too. Very yummy.

      Delete