02 September 2014

The Challenge to Live


I've been thinking a lot lately about life and happiness and how the two go hand in hand. 

So many of us want and desire true happiness in our lives but how many of us actually do or put into action the plans to make happiness and contentment happen? Is it laziness? Is it a fear of the unknown? Is it fear of change? Who's to say. I'm sure it varies from person to person and I'm sure its a combination of the three and more.

The more I think about it, why are we so afraid to live our lives? Why are we so afraid to LIVE. Sure - we breathe in and out every day. We get up, go to work or take care of the kids, and go through the motions of a typical day. And while there is a lot to be said for normalcy, why are we so afraid to LIVE; to make our lives the best they can possibly be. To challenge ourselves. To accept nothing less than what we deserve. To go out on a limb and take chances. To laugh and love openly and without boundaries. To do the best we can in all we do everyday. We only get one shot at this life, right? So why are we afraid to LIVE it to the fullest? Its a common cliche "Live life to the fullest" but how many of us really do this? How many of us get out of bed every morning with the intent to make each day count? Every day gone without some kind of passion in your life is one more day wasted. I don't know about you but I don't want to waste my days anymore. I want to LIVE.


Life is indeed good. I have no excuse to not be living it to the best of my ability. I have a beautiful daughter and an amazing partner to share my life with. I have great, supportive family and friends. I am employed and able to provide for my family. I have excellent health. God has truly blessed my life and continues to do so on a daily basis. For me, the answer is clear. True happiness and contentment comes when we are LIVING our lives. Not just going through the motions.

So - here is the challenge I'm extending to each of you and myself. Get out there and LIVE. Do the thing you've always wanted to learn or experience but haven't because you've made every excuse in the world not to. Confront a fear and overcome it. Take on a challenge and win. The human spirit is strong and courageous. More times than not we sell ourselves short of greatness. Be courageous and strong enough to fight for YOU and your will and right to live. Have enough faith in yourself to know that you can do anything and everything you set your mind to. If you aren't willing to fight for yourself, who will?

One day, each of our tickets will come due. How do you want to spend the ride?

Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

6 comments:

  1. Yes! Thanks for inspiring us! I was so excited to take a jump today. I was going to enroll in my first craft fair. Something I've been scared of for so long. The date didn't work out, but I'm revved up to find another one that will work. I need to take that step in my business but I'm so scared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get it, girl!!! You can totally do it and rock it. You will be far more scared of the regret if you DON'T do it. Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Hear that? That's me clapping loud and proud about this post.
    When moving to Texas, every single person in my life was against it. But I thought to myself... I only have this one chance to see something other than Ohio. Why not live a little and move outside my comfort zone!? So I did and 20 minute later, we've made this place as home as we can get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Kudos to you for going against the grain. I know change is hard and scary but it's so worth it. I'd rather live with defeat than the lingering questions of "What if..." NO THANKS!!

      Delete
  3. Perfection. Thank you for such inspiring words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find them useful! You do so many amazing things that inspire me so I'm happy to return the favor. ;-)

      Delete