03 September 2014

Why Madeline?

I'm often asked how we decided on Madeline for Maddy's name. Truth be told, I've always loved the name and when Michael and I found out we were having a girl, I knew immediately what her name would be. I also wanted something unique - not something you hear all the time, every day.

I also have to confess that I'm a HUGE fan of Bemelmans's Madeline books (My how that worked out nicely!) Aside from the cute pictures, rhyming, and whimsical backdrop of Paris, Bemelmans's Madeline actually portrays an important message for girls that it's ok to have brains, brawn, a strong spirit, and courage to speak out in a world that often times tries to smother any voice who dares to go against the status quo.

During my research of the Madeline books, I came across a website with a history of how the series came to be and what the main character Madeline is supposed to represent and portray:

"Madeline has been described as charmingly impetuous, irrepressible, mischievous, and precocious. She may have been the smallest of the 12 little girls in two straight lines, but she certainly was the feistiest. Wearing their flat sailor hats and identical coats, Madeline's unnamed classmates all look alike except for their hair. But Madeline stands out, not because of the way she looks, but because unlike the other girls, she is utterly fearless. When she boldly tells the tiger in the zoo, "Pooh-pooh," you wonder if what she is really saying is, "I'm not afraid of you or anything else in this world!"

No doubt about it. Madeline is a gutsy little girl, and that's what makes her such a unique role model in a time when storybook princesses defined femininity for girls. Madeline gave young girls a reason to explore who they were as individuals, even if that meant being a tad disobedient. She gave girls the courage to speak their mind and showed them that there was nothing unfeminine about being smart and strong.

I couldn't ask for any more charming characteristics to describe my own precious Madeline than this.




Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

7 comments:

  1. I love how you just knew what you wanted her name to be! It took us months to narrow it down to two names and then we didn't finaly decide until we met her! I haven't heard of (or don't remember?) The madaline books - looks like something I need to check out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet, love the collage of silly faces. I love hearing how people picked their kid names. I agree with Jenny ^. It is awesome that you instantly knew it took us FOREVER.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that name & the story behind the books. Love the pics of your Madeline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those silly faces.... And the story Madeline is exactly what I aspire for my girls as well, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS> I've been nominated for a Leibster award and want to nominate you too.... if you haven't been already. Here's all the info. http://itsagirlgirlworld.blogspot.ca/2014/09/the-leibster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, shes a doll! I loved the Madeline books too!

    ReplyDelete