08 October 2014

Hump Day Mommy Confessions


{1} Blogging hasn’t been fun for me lately – as a blogger and as a reader of blogs. I hope this changes soon because it has always been something I enjoy. I don’t know if it’s just that I’m creatively tapped out or if I’m just so tired of seeing so many posts that come across as either “My parenting style is better than yours and here’s why” or “Here’s how I parent and if you’re not doing it this way, then you’re doing it wrong” posts. 
 
Here’s a thought: How about we all just parent in our own way, in our own style, and do what feels comfortable for us and our own family. As with many things in life, I will never understand the mind-set some mothers have regarding this topic. OK, so I’m not trying the latest fad in parenting. AND??? Here’s a thought: the way I parent my child has absolutely ZERO effect on you, your child, or how you decide to parent. 

Sure, let’s talk it out. Research the different methods. Find out what the pros and cons are for each but PLEASE stop coming from the view point that one is better than another or that other mothers are wrong if they aren’t doing it your way. Isn’t parenting hard enough without stoking the mommy war fires in this way?

Live and let live.

{2} I used a rubber band the other day to keep my pants together. Fuck, I’m off the charts fat. I need to get it together. I want to be able to be my best self for Chickie and my current state isn’t cutting it. 

{3} For all the complaining I’ve done about Chickie having to sleep in our bed from time to time to get sleep at night, I have to admit that I’ve secretly loved it. There is something about how sweet that little warm body feels all snuggled up to mine that melts me and one day soon, she won’t be doing it at all anymore and I’ll miss it. Lesson learned – stop complaining and enjoy what I have now.

{4} I’m 38 and still feel like the weird kid that no one wants to hang out with. 

{5} I’m growing so accustomed to not having privacy in the bathroom that I’m starting to forget to even close the door at all, especially if there is company. Ooops. Sorry, guests!

{6} On occasion, I’ve lied to random people and told them I breastfed so that I wouldn’t have to deal with their horrible judgy-judgy eyes and looks. In the end, the only thing I feel towards that is sad. Sad for myself and any other woman who has had to do the same because it really shouldn’t be that way.

{7} I feel confident in our choice to be “one and done” but every so often, I think of Chickie and fear the day when I know she will ask me why she doesn’t have any siblings. I hope she understands because if not, and it breaks her heart, mine will break too.

{8} On occasion, I’ve fallen asleep on the toilet at work. The bathroom is so cool and quiet and well…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

What are your confessions for the week?

 


Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

16 comments:

  1. Love these! I confess I want to call in sick...just to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. I've been tempted so many times to do this. I think we all need a cheat day here and there. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Ugh. I remember tying to hide mixing formula bottles in public because I was worried about judgy eyes... No clue if anyone was ever judging or I was way insecure. Regardless it was worthless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, girl. :-( I hate so many of us are made to feel that way. Lex is amazing and it's not because she did or didn't get breast milk. That's all YOU mama. XO

      Delete
  3. I love these! Like all of them! Lady I'm with you on blogging. I don't know if it's me or blog topics or what but I'm having a hard time staying in the game. I read more than I comment and I used to comment all the time. I used to write all the time too. And it's like the last thing I want to do these days. I hope the holidays rekindle my blogger spirit - maybe yours too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'm really hoping the spark comes back. Maybe you're right about the holidays - I hope so!! XO

      Delete
  4. I don't even know where to begin so I wrote you an email sharing my thoughts on this post. I don't want to scare too many people off so I thought an email would be best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, your email was da bomb. Plain and simple. And I responded. ;-)

      Delete
  5. I want to hang out with you! Like, let's grab a bottle (maybe 4) of wine, maybe throw in a photo booth with props (you know, for good measure - you look like you know what to do in a situation such as that), and talk about how our parenting styles work for us?! :)

    In other confession news… For Baby #2 (when ever the hell that may be), I'm toying with the idea of totally skipping cover the breastfeeding attempt. Shhhh, don't tell anyone. I don't want to be burned at the stake for admitting that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahahaha!! I can totally rock a photo booth, haha. It's funny you mention hanging out. I was just telling Stephanie that I would love the chance to hang out with her. I would love to hang out with you too!! There are so many cool chicas in the blogging world that I'd love to actually meet. It's one of the great things I love about this community.

      Hope you're having a great week! XO

      Delete
  6. #5!! Laughing sooooo hard because I can totally relate! Hashtag: life of a mom, ha ha!
    I go in and out of love with blogging. It's a lot to keep up with and you're right, those types of posts can be such a turn off! I hope I never come across that way because I feel that women should be uplifting each other, not tearing one another down because they do it differently, or we don't understand, you know?
    Lastly, that is the saddest thing I've ever heard about having to lie about nursing to avoid judgement. What the heck? What is wrong with people? I nursed Mia but I only made it through because I made more than enough milk and couldn't justify buying formula instead. But I was totally formula fed and I think I'm pretty great (ha ha, kidding! But seriously, I'm "normal" and my immune system is great!) and I don't understand why people have opinions on matters they shouldn't be involved in and know nothing about. I'M SORRY!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of what you said = truer words were never spoken. YES. I'm not perfect, not by a loooong shot, but I try so hard to live and let live. It just makes things nicer that way, you know?

      Thanks for stopping by! Hope you're having a great week.

      Delete
  7. I think it's important to remember that the spectrum of how to parent the 'right way' is really really big, and *most* people don't intend to come off the way you described in #1. There are a lot of variation in blogging styles and some people (like myself) do tend to write more about "cloth diapering" "potty training" "sleeping" etc and how it worked for us because we WANT to be helpful in sharing things that worked. I think the only thing that contributes to mommy wars is participating in the drama and commenting and all that crap. Just my two cents anyway. :)

    Gosh, I'm so sorry about the formula/breastfeeding thing. That's just plain ridiculous that there are still women in our country who would be judgmental about such a thing.

    And for #7, I'm an only child and I turned out pretty great. :) I had a really special relationship with my parents (which seems like the three of you do as well)! I found I grew up to be a really independent person, and I never missed having 'siblings' when I was younger (cousins, friends etc filled that gap). As an adult going through some difficult stuff with my family, I've found myself wishing I had a sibling who could relate to the heartaches, but I've never felt upset at my parents for their decision that one was right for them.

    Hope you have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally true, Andrea. And don't get me wrong (To which I apologize if I didn't make it clear) I'm all for each blogger having their own style, topics, genre, etc. Totally all for that. Sharing information is essential and honestly, being a first time mom, having so many great resources at my fingertips has been a life saver. I think what I'm touching on more are the blatant, in your face, "I'm going to make sure you know that I know it all and you're an idiot if you don't follow suit" types of posts. At the end of the day, we all have a choice in what choose to read (for which I am no longer following those bloggers) but it still bothers me that those articles exist. At any rate, moving on... :-)

      Thanks so much for your kind and uplifting words on breastfeeding and being an only child. Much needed!

      I hope you're having a great week!

      Delete
  8. I'm an only child so take it from me, it won't be an issue!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl, I can relate to pretty much all of these! I especially love #5 because even when I do remember to close the door... a little someone just opens it right up! Sorry people!

    ReplyDelete