11 December 2014

Deck the Halls: Our Holiday Home Tour & Christmas Potpourri!



Today, I’m linking up with three great ladies who I love dearly in the blogging world: Jenny from The Chronicles of We, Courtney from Sweet Turtle Soup and Beth from Our Pretty Little Girls to give you a tour of our home decorated for the holidays! 

My decorating style for the holidays is simple, classic and timeless. Most of my favorite pieces are the ones that have been handed down to me from my grandmother or mother and I hope to do the same for Chickie when she is old enough to have a family and home of her own. I know I’ve shared some snippets here and there on Instagram, but here they all are in one place. 

Welcome to our home, and Merry Christmas!

|| O CHRISTMAS TREE ||
Forever and a day before I had Chickie, I always had white lights on my tree however, Chickie really loves the color lights so y'all know how that goes. I have to admit, they have really grown on me and I love to see the joy in Chickie's face while she looks at the tree. In my mind, that's what Christmas is about - viewing the holiday all over again thru the eyes of our children. It's magical.

Our tree is pretty traditional in decorations - mostly family decorations with a few more modern pieces like the larger glitter balls {Yes, I'm snickering saying "Glitter balls" cause I'm just that immature, y'all.} I also have to brag for a hot second about our bow topper. I made it years ago and it still looks pretty fab. I'm proud of it. 


Growing up, we would spend our Christmas vacation in Nashville with my mother's parents. This angel hung on their tree every year and I loved it. When we would arrive at their house, I would race to the tree to see the decorations and would hunt for this little gem. Years later, my TuTu gave her to me and I love seeing her handing on our tree every year. 

The leg lamp is also a favorite!

I had some left over gold dot burlap from decorating last year so instead of doing the usual boring ol white sheet wrap at the bottom, I used the burlap instead. I think it turned out great!



 

 



|| OUR MANTLE ||
This year is the first holiday that I've had an actual mantle to decorate. Again, it's a basic classic style: lit garland, nutcrackers, and home made stockings. Simple. Classic. Perfect.


I bought our stocking from the dollar store and used good 'ol glue and glitter to make these babies. Even the pets get a stocking!




|| OTHER DECORATIONS ||





This copy of "The Christmas Book" dates back to 1930 and belonged to my grandmother before she handed it down to my mother and her sister. For Maddy's first Christmas in 2011, my mother and aunt gave it to her. I can't wait for her to have it in her home when she has her own children and family.

Aren't these candle holders just adorable?! I picked them up in the $1 bin at Target last year and use them all winter long. They look beautiful at night in the dark with a simple votive candle. So pretty.


I have these cute printables placed all over the home in different locations.


 
|| HOLIDAY POTPOURRI ||

The holidays just aren’t complete without the delicious aroma of Christmas. A stove top potpourri mix is an easy, inexpensive way to make your home smell wonderful in just a few minutes. 

 


Here's what you'll need:
{1} whole orange
{1/2} cup cranberries
{1} Tbsp. whole cloves
{3} sticks of cinnamon
A few drops of vanilla extract
A sprinkle of grated nutmeg or cinnamon

One batch of stove top potpourri will stay good for weeks {the mix will turn brown, but still smell delicious}. Just add water as needed to your pot and don't be afraid to experiment! Throw in berries, grapefruit, lemons or all spice berries.


 


 



Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

15 comments:

  1. Love all of your decorations! Garland is one of my favorite ways to decorate - it makes the house seem so cozy and woodsy. I very much wish we had a mantle- yours looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I too love garland. My mother used it in our home growing up so it is all very nostalgic for me. I just love the holidays!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE printables! Your Christmas decor is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I appreciate you stopping by to take a look! I can't wait to check out your post. Hope you're having a great week.

      Delete
  3. I remember those gold table top balls and I still LOVE them! I also love that you went to colored lights for Chickie - I think that speaks so much to how you parent. Oh and I totally love your little nutcracker collection! I have 2 but I hope to add to them next year. We always had one growing up and then just make me think Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS thanks for linking up with us!!!

      Delete
  4. Oh I love that angel ornament. That is so cool that it is now yours. My mom has one that she and my dad hung on their first tree and I have made it very clear that someday (a long time from now) it will be mine. Love everything. I really wish we had some nutcrackers, I'll put that on my future want list. The pictures of Chickie are great to. Thanks so much for linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love having things the house that belong to a relative, at least half of my stuff was my Mom's or Grandma's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too! I think it makes the holidays so much more special. Hope you're having a great week!

      Delete
  6. Love your mixture of family-heirlooms, diy, and bargain decorations. It all comes together beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your decorations are absolutely gorgeous! I love the story behind your TuTu's ornament!

    ReplyDelete
  8. glitter balls haha. I love that old book, that is super sweet to have still. And nice that you let M have her coloured lights in lieu of the white ones. I'm with her though, I like how fun the coloured ones are. So naturally we have white this year because I like to make sense. The burlap and nutcrackers are all fabulous too!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting a fabulous and fun link-up! I really enjoyed putting this one together but everything during the holidays is fun, right? Hope you and the little are having a great week!

      Delete