04 February 2015

An Interview With The Mister


Today, I’m going rogue on my blog and trying something new – an interview with my mister. I talk a lot about me, myself and I on here but rarely do you guys ever get a glimpse into the life and thoughts of my better half, Michael.

So I decided to change that.

This man is the mac to my cheese. The shen to my nanigans. The cray to my z. He keeps me thinking, laughing, loving and growing as a person and really, what more could you ask for in a partner? So without further ado, I give you…


The mister. 

ONE :: First things first: Tell us a little bit about yourself.
I’m convinced I’m the reincarnation of an old British woman named Betsy. Since I was a boy, I’ve always fancied Brit culture: tea, Victorian architecture, their lovely accents, Matchbox cars, Dr. Who and Wimbledon. In this life, I was born and raised in Florida. (I’m the only surviving Florida native.) I grew up in West Palm. NOT Palm Beach. There’s a big difference – like the difference between a Mercedes (any Class) and a ’78 Chevy Nova. My dad died when I was nine. Don’t smoke! (That means you, Ashley Patterson!) When I was 10, I used to draw architectural drawings. If I had to do it all over again, I’d be an architect. (Yes, like George Costanza.) Today, I’m actually a real-life superhero – editor by day, playwright by night. I have an MFA in Creative Writing from Wilkes University in Wilkes-Barre, PA. I’ve been writing and studying fiction, creative nonfiction, screenwriting, and playwriting since the 3rd Grade and Mrs. Charnock’s English class. In fact, I still have those awful essays in a Lord & Taylor box someplace. They reek of adjectives and corny Florida references – lots of Disney World and orange pulp mentions.
 

I had perfect attendance my junior year of high school. I love tennis, drums (all music really), cars (I’ve owned 19), seasons – except for summer and spring (suddenly this has became a Match.com ad) – and I’m a part-time Neil Diamond impersonator. I’m a Virgo, for what that’s worth. My name means “angel or Godlike.” You can ask Courtney about that one. I vacillate between utter laziness and borderline workaholic. I love Colorado, but Colorado doesn’t love me. My vacations are spent going to school. I’ve done summer and winter residencies since 2011 at Hollins University, Wilkes, Lesley University and the University of Nebraska at Omaha. I’ve been published (online) 10 times and had a play produced in Pittsburgh. I’ve been divorced – Scandalous! I used to work for NASA (insert rocket scientist joke here). I love space beyond words. In fact, I want to be buried in space – have my coffin float out there forever, like Voyager.

I’m a New York Yankees fan since birth. I want a Yankees baseball cap in my “capsule.” My favorite movies are (in no particular order): Star Wars – Episode IV, Moulin Rouge, Pleasantville, Monsters, Inc., Rushmore, Die Hard, When Harry Met Sally, Garden State, Up, Citizen Kane, The Sound of Music, Stargate, Rocky, Midnight in Paris, The Royal Tenenbaums, and 500 Days of Summer. I always wanted a Sheltie and finally got my wish in 2006. Henry (named after “The Fonz,” Henry Winkler) will be nine on June 11. And I always wanted a little girl – a daughter. That wish finally came true on July 24, 2011. Now, I’m just a daddy. Everything else I just said is bullshit compared to being Maddy’s daddy.
 


TWO :: What should Shiraz In My Sippy Cup readers know about me that 
they might not already know?
Before you met me, you didn’t wear underwear. Instead, you wore pearls every day and were a card-carrying member of the Republican Party. Although you still don’t wear underwear, thank God you found me!


THREE :: What has been the hardest thing you’ve had to adjust to being a dad? 
The loss of freedom to just go someplace simple. When Maddy was smaller, we needed a “babysitter” just to check the mail or go to the grocery store. Even now, we still haven’t gone to Savannah (an hour away) as a family because we don’t want to interrupt Maddy’s (and ours) nap schedule. And speaking of sleep – the lack of it is high on this list of course.


FOUR :: What is your greatest joy in being a father?
Making Maddy laugh. Seeing her sense of humor. Being a part of her growing curiosity, questions and self-discovery. Being able to celebrate Father’s Day again, since I lost my dad so long ago.
 


FIVE :: What characteristics and attributes do you see in 
Maddy that you had as a child?
For better or worse, she’s obsessed with cleaning and neatness. There’s a story about me when I was around one-year-old of lining up my peas on the back of our booth in a deli in south Florida. Well, Maddy loves to line things up (toy cars, food, etc.), too. She also cleans the hell out of stuff. She loves scrubbing the bathtub, especially at Grandma and Papi’s house. (Grandma’s heel luffa is Maddy’s primary cleaning tool, but don’t tell Michelle.)

She memorizes as well as I used to. She can memorize an entire book after one or two readings. I used to have that gift. I also feel as though Maddy is an “old soul,” much like I was. Perhaps that’s genetic or the consequence of being an only child. Oh, and Maddy finds comfort in rolling her blankets between her fingers, something I constantly did as a child. I always liked how cool they felt in Florida’s warm weather. To watch Maddy do it is so comforting, amazing, shocking, and weird to watch, all rolled into one. So many emotions!


SIX :: What initially attracted you to me?
The computer! We met online through a mutual friend, so it was your profile picture on Facebook. After that, it was our playful online conversations. After that, it was your smile (and cleavage). After that, it was your kindness, generosity, sense of humor and humility. In the end, it’s been your role as Maddy’s mother that is your sexiest and most attractive trait.


SEVEN :: Describe yourself in five words.
Witty, generous, compassionate, creative, hungry (when’s dinner?)


EIGHT :: How is raising a daughter different for a father than a mother?
I was able to give Maddy my 1970s Matchbox car and Star Wars collections. Roughhousing is decidedly different. Overall though, I think we probably have the same joys, fears and pride, no matter our gender. Um, boys are going to be an issue. Maddy can’t date until she’s 40. I know what guys are like, so there is that. I guess the best I can do is try and model the man I want her to end up with and that she deserves. Or if she decides to love a woman, even better!


NINE :: We’ve been together now for a little over four years. What have you loved? What have you not liked so much?
Time alone with you. The sex. Our intimacy. That you accept me for all my flaws and faults. The Moot House. Movies. Inside jokes. Having and raising Maddy together. I have ADD and wanderlust, so losing a certain amount of freedom is not always easy. And when we fight, it’s bad. I don’t like the lawyer in you!
 


TEN :: Tell my readers what some of your lesser-known talents may be.
Well, I mentioned Neil Diamond impersonations above so I suppose I’ll mention that I can do other voices and impersonations. Bill Clinton is a favorite. Kermit the Frog. Billy Bob Thornton in Sling Blade. Harrison Ford. Those are family favorites. I was a tennis coach for many years and I don’t exactly look like an athlete, so I guess that would be surprising to most people. Also, I’m a classically trained chef. And I’ve beaten Courtney and her family at Monopoly TWICE! I wish it wasn’t “play” money!




Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

19 comments:

  1. This was great and so real. It really gave me a glimpse at how you guys function as a couple and I love that. I have had this on my list of post ideas since Stephanie interviewed her guys but mine is not a man of many words so that may not work out so well for me. You however, knocked this one out of the park.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, so real! And very insightful, don't think my mister would ever agree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughed all the way through this. I don't even know where to begin. Reincarnation of British Betsy? Sound of Music on the favorite movie list? Wanting to be shot into space instead of buried? Tell The Mister he needs to get his own blog. I want back stories on all of these things! Haha! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of this. I live in Colorado and have always loved the New York Yankees (I was born and raised on the East Coast) so I pretty much love your husband (but not in that way). Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun idea! It's always fun to get to know the men behind the blog a little. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Courtney PattersonFebruary 4, 2015 at 3:00 PM

    Thanks, Laura! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Courtney PattersonFebruary 4, 2015 at 3:03 PM

    Thanks Beth! I really appreciate that. Michael is usually a good sport for most things. Most. haha. Hope you're having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Courtney PattersonFebruary 4, 2015 at 3:26 PM

    Thanks, Sarah! We used to live in Colorado too but we had really really bad luck there, lol. I do miss the weather. Thanks for taking the time to read and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Courtney PattersonFebruary 4, 2015 at 3:27 PM

    Haha! I'm so happy you enjoyed it! Michael actually did have his own blog a long time ago but a professor once told him that he needed to stop using it because anything he posted on it would be considered "already published" by a book company so he stopped. I've received a great response from this post so I'm thinking I'll have him do some other posts here and there for me, so stay tuned! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Courtney PattersonFebruary 4, 2015 at 3:27 PM

    That's what I think, too. I always love reading these types of posts from other bloggers so I thought I'd give it a try. Hope you're having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! You two are adorable together. I think he needs a blog! And that bit about the old British woman reminds me of Friends when Ross used to be the old woman and put on tea parties!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like you two probably have a lot of fun together. You can tell he definitely is a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So great! I wonder if I can get my hubby to do this someday? Love it! Also, I need to find that storm trooper helmet!! Is that a recent picture? I would be my sons hero :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Desiree @ Macke MonologuesFebruary 4, 2015 at 9:55 PM

    I concur with Sara M - get Michael a blog, STAT! I was drawn into his writing immediately, and was sad when the interview ended.
    It sounds like you two have the best of times together, and it's clear Michael is an amazing daddy ("…the rest is just bullshit" is hands down the best line of the whole interview)!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much, Desiree! I've tried to get him to blog but he won't do it. I got such a great response from this post so I'm thinking that I will get him to write a few things here and there for my readers. I think it's cool to get the dad's perspective, too. XO

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Sandra! No, we took that picture before Maddy was born. We were in Once Upon a Child and found it and in typical goofball fashion, on the head it went. ;-) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Emmy! We do. We have a lot of fun and it certainly makes life easier to laugh. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hahaha! That's so true. I never thought of that and I LOVE Friends. Shame on me. I've tried to get him to blog but he won't do it. I've received such a great response from this post so I think I'm going to get him to write a few things here and there for my readers, to get the dad point of view. Thanks for reading, friend! XO

    ReplyDelete