18 February 2015

Hump Day Mommy Confessions: The 4 Not So Great Parts of Blogging



 
One of the most common questions I get asked about being a blogger is, “What do you not like about blogging? What is the downside?”

Ay yi yi. How to respond to that. Let me say first and foremost that yes – there are some downsides to blogging BUT I’ve found that my experience overall has been extremely positive. However if I’m being completely honest, there are things about blogging and the blogging world that have left me feeling less than happy and more frustrated at times. So for today’s Hump Day Mommy Confessions I thought I’d talk about the not so hot aspects of blogging that I’ve found to be true for me.



{ONE} The Assholes: Haters Gonna Hate, Hate, Hate, Hate, Hate…
You know the people I’m talking about. The ones who never have anything nice to say. The ones who make it their life’s work to make sure you fully understand just how much you suck. And while I know that I’m not everyone’s cup of tea and that everyone will react differently to the things I write about, comments that are strictly a personal attack on me, my family, my parenting or anything personal is a whole other story all together and unacceptable.

My personal favorites that I get a kick out of are the people who like to act big and bad sitting  hiding behind their keyboard replying as “Anonymous.” The funny thing is that you are never anonymous on the Internet. Never. How people haven’t figured this out in the year 2015 is beyond me. With just a few clicks of my mouse, I can figure out where you live and your IP address. Once I know that, I know who you are. Not so anonymous anymore.

Bottom line, haters gonna hate. There isn’t really anything you can do to stop it except to develop a thick skin and learn to shake it off, shake it off. I’ve learned over the years that people’s responses to the things you have to say are usually a result of how they are feeling about themselves in a particular circumstance and in return, they project it onto you, the blogger. Take it with a grain of salt {Easier said than done, I know} and move on. Life is too short to worry about what some bitchy troll on the Internet thinks of you.


{TWO} The Time Suck
Consistently coming up with new content, pictures, ideas, blah blah blah can be cumbersome. And I’ll admit that because of this, sometimes I feel like I’m just phoning it in on my blog. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve half-heartedly written something knowing it wasn’t great just so I could keep my numbers up and my readers happy. Throw in the time it takes to edit pictures and you can easily end up spending hours on just one post. Being a full-time working mom and mother, it gets challenging.


{THREE} Comparing Lives
This is a dangerous, slippery slope that I’ll admit I’ve struggled with at times. It’s easy to read posts from other bloggers and get just that slim, peephole view at someone’s manicured and picture perfect life and think, “Well shit. My clothes, my home, my child {insert your own insecurity here} isn’t good enough.” Some people really struggle with this and it can really consume you if you don’t know how to check it at the door. 


{FOUR} Content
As bloggers, we often get trapped into writing about things we think others want to hear or writing about things that will keep everyone happy instead of writing about the things we really want to talk about. Why is that??? I mean, it’s our little space on the Internet, right? Shouldn’t we feel comfortable enough to own it? This too, can be a slippery slope when working with your blog. Many times I’ve felt the pressure to steer away from being who I really am to avoid making waves but at the end of the day, the only thing it did was make me unhappy and my blog less authentic to who I am. I’ve always maintained: If you can’t be who you are in blogging, why bother? The people who want to be a part of your world will be. Stop stressing about the dead weight and keep it moving. Your blog, your content. Period.

So there you go. My top issues about the blogging world that can really suck from time to time. What have you found to be your biggest issues with blogging? 


Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, the time suck. That's really the one that gets me. There's never enough time! I don't think many people realize just how long it takes to write a post, take the photos, edit them, upload them, format, etc. Plus, then you have to promote your blog/post on social media. It's a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, the Time Suck. Once Chris said to me that "oh, a blog post will only take you like 15 minutes."

    Oh no dear husband, oh no.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me it's definitely #2! Trying to organize my time better is something that i am really working on right now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree with this list more!! I've been lucky enough not to have to deal with #1, yet, but I know people that have and it hurts me that people can be so cruel. I like #4 is probably the one that I struggle with the most. I like to keep a balance of upbeat and deep stuff which sometimes can be hard. I just have to remind myself that I'm doing this for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel you. But as they say, "You aren't doing something right, until someone tells you you're doing it wrong". As for the "time suck", I split my post schedule up. I write early in the morning before work. no pictures, no links or anything, just the bare bones of one or more posts. Then, the next day I'll look for pics (or take them myself). I upload the posts to WP so that I can start finishing them up there. And then the day before a post goes up I'll add the links, arrange the images, etc. But I try to do things in pieces, otherwise an entire night (or day) is gone. And the voice dictation feature on my iPhone is a GOD send. Good luck! Keep your head up and keep doing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! all of these are so true! And comparing lives.. its so easy to do when you see them on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think for me it is the time and those times that I feel like I have to figure out something to post, just to put a post up. That those awkward real life conversations about something you blogged about forever ago. I wish people I know just would never bring up my blog in real life if I'm being honest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely #2. I would add the comparisons to other blogger's and their success kind of sucks. I always feel like I'm behind... I need more traffic, more promotion, more subscribers, etc., etc.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I completely agree. Especially #2. As a working mom as well, I constantly struggle with this. Work, spend time with family, SLEEP, read blogs, comment on blogs, respond to emails, write a blog post. There are not enough hours in the day.
    Have you ever done a day in the life post? I don't know if those are your thing but I love seeing how other working moms make it work and seeing if I can better my schedule to make it work better for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Desiree @ Macke MonologuesFebruary 20, 2015 at 9:56 AM

    Yep, yep, yep. The time suck is the one that really gets me. Between writing, editing, photo editing my own posts, there's also the reading, commenting, and replying to others I follow. It's easy to just get sucked into all of it.

    ReplyDelete