26 February 2015

Why I Love Being a Girl Mom




When I found out I was pregnant, I knew with all my being that I was having a boy. When Michael and I would go to look at clothing, or bedding or anything baby, I would gravitate towards the boy items. We talked about boy names and I researched everything boy.

Oh boy was I wrong.

When the ultrasound tech told me I was having a girl, my head exploded. I just knew I was supposed to be having a boy, so much so that I asked her to check again. Sure enough, there was no dingle in my daughter’s anatomy. Our baby was indeed all girl and I was floored. My parents raised 3 girls – three. How either of them has any hair left on their heads to this day is beyond me and that’s all I could think of at the time – girls are drama. Girls are crazy chaotic. Girls will turn your life upside down.

Well, almost four years later, our life has indeed been turned upside down. It has definitely been crazy and chaotic. It has been filled with dramatic fits worthy of winning an Oscar. We’ve dealt with our little girl being completely fine one minute and a complete ranting, raving lunatic riding the waves of emotions the next {Hello mood swings!}. We’ve experienced so much in our short amount of time as girl parents…

And I’ve loved every minute of it. 



I try so hard to think back to my time of pregnancy and how I had my hopes set so high on a boy and it’s hard to do because I know with every fiber of my being that this little girl was made for me. The Lord crafted her, molded her and shaped her with His own hands. Every detail on her curious, funny and beautiful face was put there by the hand of the Master. He breathed His life into her and then gave her to me. Without me knowing it at the time, the Lord saved me in every way a person can be saved: with love, grace and the beauty and wonderment of one little girl. 

I could easily say that I love having a girl because of the cute clothes, her hair and all of those things and yes, all of that’s true but it’s more than that. It’s SO much more than all of that. Being a mom to a girl is special and unique in so many ways. 

A better appreciation for your own mom. From the moment your little girl is handed to you in the hospital and you lay eyes on her for the first time, you feel an overwhelming sense of pride and immediately begin to think of all the things you hope and wish for your daughter; success, finding pure joy in life, love, hope and happiness. You always want to be her biggest advocate but you know that she will have trials, face obstacles and have some really bad days – so you hold onto her a little tighter as long as you can and it isn’t too long after that you realize your mom feels the exact same way about you. #mindblown

The forming motherly instinct. I always felt like I lacked this growing up but when I look at my daughter and I see how she so carefully and lovingly puts her stuffed animals to sleep, feeds them and plays kitchen with them, it makes my heart burst. She’s already learning about compassion and taking care of others and it just fills my heart with joy. 



Raising the next generation of strong women leaders. In as much as my daughter loves to play house, I have the opportunity to raise a strong woman role model and a leader for our world. In a time where women still have to fight for their rightful place in our nation, it’s an amazing honor to have the opportunity to raise an independent, self-thinking, strong and courageous woman. Maddy will go into our world armed with the knowledge that she can do, or be, anything she chooses. Hopefully by the time she enters the real world, our society will be far more advanced in their thinking of a “woman’s place” in society but until then, it’s my job to teach her that she can do anything she puts her mind to.

She makes me a better woman and person. Having a girl makes you want to be a better person. You suddenly have the urge to think more of others and serve them in ways you never thought of before because your daughter is watching you and you want her to learn compassion and empathy. You find yourself letting go of being rigid and embracing goofy because it makes her laugh and you want her to be happy. You realize that while you look in the mirror or stand on the scale and belittle yourself, your daughter is watching so you shut it down and learn healthy habits because it’s important for your daughter to have a healthy self-image of herself. You push yourself harder with your own hobbies, talents and goals because you want her to know that she can do the same and succeed. In every way, my daughter has made me a better person and I am so eternally grateful for this life lesson.

When the ultrasound tech told me I was having a girl, I had no clue what to expect, but looking back, I wouldn’t change any of it for the world. Because of my daughter, I am better than I was yesterday and for this blessing, I am humbled.




 
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

10 comments:

  1. You captured so well what it's like to raise a girl. I'm a "boy mom", but my sister is almost 12 years younger than me and I gained a lot of experience from her upbringing! You hit the nail on the head with your descriptions. My best friend swore she was having a boy, as well, and was shocked to have a girl. You and her are similar in that you have wonderfully strong personalities and I think people like y'all are meant to have girls - to raise the kind of girls that this world needs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being a girl mom! I can't imagine having a little dude (what do you do with a penis?!) it might be because it's all that I know. But there's something about raising girls that gets me all giddy and happy-- and you're right- it's not just about the clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love being a girl mom!! We have such an opportunity to raise strong, special women who will run the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful post! I too was set on having a boy but can't imagine not being a girl mom now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 4 little girls of my own, and they are energetic, beautiful, and loving. I'm excited to get to watch and influence them as as they grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay! So super cool that you joined along in this topic. That made me :).

    Your post also made me cry. Yes, yes, yes. So true and so good.

    Beautiful post friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! I sometimes forget what events I will have ahead of me and that I will be posing as a role model to my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is perfection! I prayed to have daughters and I was blessed with two! My husband is in accord with me when we say we only want girls. Drama is high but so is the love and affection.
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! <3 I have two daughters & I love every minute of it. I want to be a better wife and mama to help guide them in the direction they need to be going to become the wives and mamas they are meant to be. Its a wonderful thing! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Desiree @ Macke MonologuesFebruary 27, 2015 at 10:19 AM

    This is beautiful.
    Chickie is so lucky to have such an amazing role model! You're one hell of a mom, and Chickie is going to do big things because of you.

    ReplyDelete