13 March 2015

5 Lies & 1 Amazing Recipe



On Monday, I decided to switch things up from my regular routine and play a little game with all of you called Two Truths & One Lie. During the week, it has been an absolute hoot to read all of your guesses and comments about the below statements. Without further ado, below are the lies in red. How many did you guess right?

1.    I dye my hair color brunette
2.    I cut off a friend’s hair in day care
3.    My hair is naturally curly but I straighten it

1.    My grandfather was mistaken by police for the Lindbergh Baby
2.    I am a direct descendent of President Franklin D. Roosevelt
3.    My Aunt worked with actress Cynthia Rhodes while they were both employed at Opryland USA in guest entertainment

1.    I’ve eaten rattlesnake
2.    I’ve eaten eel
3.    I’ve eaten the sweetbread of a calf

1.    I’ve been featured on a nationally televised segment of the Mickey Mouse Club
2.    I’ve appeared as an extra on the soap opera General Hospital
3.    I’ve been a guest host on a popular Nashville, TN radio station

1.    My major in college was Mass Communications
2.    My minor in college was Political Science
3.    My minor in college was Business Administration

This week also brought us a really delicious and healthy recipe courtesy of the Hungry Healthy Girl. You guys know I’m not great about sharing recipes on the blog so when I do, you know it has to be good. 

This recipe is absolutely scrumptious - so much so, that Michael had thirds and Chickie woofed it off her plate pretty much instantaneously. It also made our home smell heavenly. Another added bonus? This casserole is completely vegan and gluten-free so if that’s your thing, this is perfect for you.



Ingredients
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (cook in the microwave for about 3-5 minutes, to soften)
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
  • ½ an onion, chopped
  • 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup salsa, divided
  • 2-4 tortillas, depending on size (corn, flour, sprouted, gluten-free or whole wheat)
  • 4 oz. shredded cheese, use vegan as desired (optional)
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with a natural cooking spray; set aside.
  • In a large bowl, combine diced sweet potato, black beans, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, chili powder, garlic salt, and cinnamon.
  • Spread ½ cup salsa on the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange a tortilla on top, ripping into strips to get the right fit. Spoon a large layer of sweet potato/black bean mixture over tortilla strips. Spread the remaining ½ cup salsa over the sweet potato/black bean layer.
  • Add one more layer of tortillas and then add the rest of the sweet potato/black bean mixture over the tortilla layer. Top with cheese, if using.
  • Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes and until cheese is melted and top is slightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve. Top with additional salsa, cilantro, and/or avocado, if desired.
  • Enjoy! I know you will!

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: serves 6

We have zilch planned for our weekend and I couldn’t be happier. I hope each of you has a great weekend and I’ll see you bright and early on Monday! 

http://farmerbell.blogspot.com/

Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

17 comments:

  1. hahaha! This is too funny! I hate that I missed the original post. My guesses would have been completely off, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Desiree @ Macke MonologuesMarch 13, 2015 at 10:37 AM

    I *think* I was 3 for 5 on the truth/lies. That was a fun one. May I put in a personal request to do another post like that again? :)
    Oh my, that casserole looks freaking amazing. And perfect for Lenten Fridays. Pinning that bad boy now.
    Have a fab weekend, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I got a few of them right! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, my major in school was political science! Hooray! #twinning

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you were on a radio show! I can totally see you having your own talk show or radio show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so wish I could get Chris to eat a casserole like that...but he won't touch beans. Men!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Courtney PattersonMarch 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM

    Try making it without the beans and just ad extra sweet potatoes. Or you could make it strictly for yourself to have for lunches during the week. Just a thought! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Courtney PattersonMarch 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM

    Hahaha! Thanks, Jaclyn!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Courtney PattersonMarch 13, 2015 at 1:33 PM

    Hahaha! Yep, and I've done ZERO with it since. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Courtney PattersonMarch 13, 2015 at 1:34 PM

    Yay, Becky! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Courtney PattersonMarch 13, 2015 at 1:34 PM

    Absolutely! I'll keep it in mind. Let me know how you like it if you make it - I think you'll really enjoy it! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Courtney PattersonMarch 13, 2015 at 1:34 PM

    Thanks, Ashley! Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 2 out of 5! Kind of terrible :p


    Tell me about being on General Hospital!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Courtney PattersonMarch 13, 2015 at 4:18 PM

    Oh, no I wasn't on GH. The lies are the ones in red. Although, I did get to tour their set and meet some of the stars of the show, I was never an extra.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Der. Yes. Totally read that one wrong! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad you posted the truths because I was really wondering!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was wondering about the truths too!

    Now I want to make that recipe and I am pretty sure I have everything on hand to do it.... hhhmmmm!

    ReplyDelete