18 March 2015

Dear Male Chauvinist Pig...




Dear Male Chauvinist Pig,

You won’t remember me but I remember you. As a matter of fact, I’ve been thinking of you since this past October when we spoke on the phone. As hard as I’ve tried, I can’t seem to shake the ignorant, misinformed and callous words you spoke ever so easily which left me feeling livid and sad not only for myself and for the millions of working women everywhere, but also for my own daughter who will one day have to deal with the likes of men like you.

To refresh your memory, we talked briefly in October when I called you to check references on a potential hire for my office. The conversation was going fine until I asked you about the candidate’s time and attendance. This is where our conversation completely derailed. When asked, your response {in your completely snide, belittling voice} was:

Well, I mean, she has a couple of kids so she always wanted or needed time off for their activities or because they were sick. I guess her attendance was okay but given the fact that she was focused on her kids, it {her attendance} could have been better. I mean, you know how it goes these days with the working women who have kids.”

At the time, it took everything I had to keep the remaining portion of our conversation professional. I’m pretty sure that when I hung up the phone, my lips were swollen and cramped from having to bite them to keep from giving you a piece of my mind but the more I think about it, I no longer want to keep silent about the simple fact that you are…

A male chauvinist asshole pig. 

You say, “I mean, you know how it goes these days with the working women who have kids” but I say no, no I really don’t know “how it goes” with the working women these days because here is what I know to be fact…

I am a working woman. I am also a working woman with a child, and while you may think that I look for every excuse in the world to not be in the office, this couldn’t be further from the truth. While on my maternity leave, I still worked 40+ hours a week from home and single-handedly pulled off my company’s annual golf tournament, sealed the deal on a partnership with UPS to provide sustainable financial gains for years to come for my company and also planned an award-winning annual awards dinner for 600+ people. I was back in the office after only 2 months of maternity leave and have never missed a beat since.

I’ve beaten out many a man for a job, promotion or contract and to be even more blunt, often out-perform most men in my line of work as a marketing professional. I am an award-winning event planner, a recipient of the National Civitan Award for Community Service and on the average, raise over $1M in revenue for the companies I work for all while owning and operating my own marketing business and blog, running a home, raising a child, being a published writer and basically kicking life squarely in the balls.

In parting, I would just like you to know that I have known many strong, loving men, including my father, who recognize the importance of the equality of women, especially those who are working mothers. There are more of those kinds of men, and as long as your whiny tirades are littering the airwaves, I and many others, will work harder than you can ever dream to create a more equal America for all women in the workplace. Your childish attempts will be viewed for what they are. You are on the losing side of life and history. You are a weak man seeking to control for one reason only: You have no real self-esteem. You are a bully and a loser.

You are indeed a male chauvinist pig but I am the woman, like millions of other working moms, who are the ones bringing home the bacon for us and our families. 

Sincerely,
A working mom who loves to eat bacon

Oink.

http://www.greenlovinggirl.com/

Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

12 comments:

  1. Rude! Guys are such jerks sometimes. I could go on a rant but instead I'll just commend you for keeping cool and thank you for being such a inspirational women!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! Well said, that guy sounds like such a jerk and unfortanately I have come across plenty of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how he just assumed the woman he was talking to didn't have any children of her own. I feel sorry for him. One day he's going to make a comment like that to the wrong person and it's going to cost him a lot more than his reputation...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooooh, this grinds my gears!!! My husband & I are (ideally) planning on both working part-time and raising our kids, so both of us will probably be dealing with needing to leave work early, or working extra time because we miss an hour or something. Where I work right now there are two guys whose wives also work, and numerous times they have needed to go home early because a child has pink eye, or have been late getting to work because their wife works in the NICU and got an emergency call so they need to get the kids to school. It's just how life is. Anyone who bad-talks moms OR dads who work and raise families need to try it themselves and they shut the hell up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow it's one thing not to understand if he doesn't have kids of his own, but to think it is ok to say crap like that. Ugh

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW. Just wow. Thankfully he didn't talk to me because I would have a few choice words for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People say the dumbest things. It never ceases to amaze me.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha this was awesome!! I really hate people who talk about things that they honestly have no idea about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. people really are so dumb sometimes! so many of the people are work with are working moms, and they're great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People are ridiculous. I've gotten the whole "working women with children" comments and it just makes me angry. Yes, my child comes first but I also work really hard at my job and have a very successful career. He's an idiot. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post - I don't know if I would've held off saying something.

    ReplyDelete