11 March 2015

Mommy Confessions: The Cold Hard Reasons Why I No Longer Follow Your Blog




Between my Bloglovin, BlogHer and Blogger feeds, I follow a lot of blogs. I never realized how many until I started to try and read most of them and quickly found out how overwhelming it can be to keep up with everyone. 

Just like you, I’m a busy mom. My time is precious and valuable. Aside from my child and Michael, time is probably my next most precious possession. Between work, the kid, my own blog and business and keeping up with life in general, I’ve found that as I get older, I’ve become far more picky and selective about how I spend my time. To that end, as I found myself feeling weighted down by all the blogs out there begging for my attention, I found the urge to free myself and let some of them go.

To be perfectly honest, there are a lot of blogs I’m simply not interested in anymore and have no desire to follow. Not so much because of the niche, but more so because of these reasons…



Your blog design and navigation is a hot mess. Yes, every bloggers’ space is their own to do with as they wish but here’s the catch: you still have to design a site that is user-friendly and appealing to the reader’s eye. If I have to deal with constant pop-up’s and horrible ad placement, that’s a turnoff for me as your reader.

And let me address ads for a minute. I completely understand that ads are a necessary evil when it comes to promoting and monetizing your blog however, if you have videos that randomly turn on or make noise while I’m trying to read your post, that’s a HUGE distraction keeping me from being tuned in to what you have to say. Use ads yes, but when you have them littered everywhere – on the side bar, at the top of your site, all over the place in your post, at the bottom of the screen – then I’m rolling out because while I completely support making money from blogging, all this tells me is that you are far more focused on the dollars and not so much on generating great content for your readers so why bother? Why should I invest my time?

Your use of the English language, formatting and spelling sucks. It’s inevitable. At some point or time, we are all going to leave out a punctuation mark or have a misspelling here or there. That I understand. What I don’t understand is how you can have a post filled with run on sentences, misspellings and zero paragraph placements. It would be one thing if this happened to only a post or two but if I go scrolling through your archives (if I can even find them) and see that all your posts are this way, I’m done. If you can’t even simply take the time to use spell and grammar check before publishing your content, then I don’t have the time to read either. 

This is the cold hard reality. People who read blogs don’t want to read a hot mess collection of crap they can’t understand. Readers want well thought out ideas and solid story structure. We want to feel as if we are being pulled into a story that we can easily follow, not something that literally sounds awful and reads as if a two year old wrote it.

You have zero substance and have nothing to offer. When asked why people read blogs, most readers I’ve talked with say they do it to escape for a little while in a good story, to learn something and get tips and advice or to be inspired.

Don’t get me wrong – I love your link-ups, your giveaways and all the fun little group gift exchanges – really I do BUT if that’s all I’m getting from you, what’s the point of me reading? Where is your content? How are you inspiring me or helping me? Where are the posts that give me an idea of who you are and what your life is like because, reality check! That’s why people read blogs – to get to know you

If all you are is a shopping maniac {fashion blogs aside} or a blogger who talks about nothing except how you partied all weekend, thanks but no thanks. I need substance and a little more than a narrow-minded view on YOLO. I’m dropping you like third period French.

You never post. When I’m looking to lighten my blog lists, one of the things I take into consideration is how often you post.  

We all get busy, we all have life happen to us and we all take down time. I get that because I’ve done it myself, but if I’m looking at your blog in March 2015 and your last post was in June 2014, then that tells me you aren’t posting and I have no need to follow you.

So there’s my honest take. What are some reasons why you stop following blogs? Can you relate to any of these?
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

40 comments:

  1. Completely agree with all of these! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Substance is huge. and it doesn't have to be earth shattering things. Even sharing your trip to x kid activity gives me ideas. But there has to be something there and something personal. Another reason for me is if I can relate to the blogger. I don't love everyone in real life so why would I love all blogs? I have unfollowed many a blog that I just didn't connect with the author. Love your honesty here. especially when you are trying to grow your blog and there's a lot of pressure to "follow everyone" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desiree @ Macke MonologuesMarch 11, 2015 at 11:42 AM

    Nodding my head 'yes' to all of these.


    There's another I'd like to add to this list, if I may: Blogs that are purely for promotional purposes. If EVERY.SINGLE.post has a *disclaimer* on it I'm over it. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for receiving free products and opportunities. But if that's ALL that's being put out there then I'm all, "See ya!"


    Not too long ago I cleared house with the blogs I follow, and holy hell was it liberating. It was amazing how clicking that little 'unfollow' button has freed up so much more of my time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post! I'm not sure I will ever understand the bloggers who write as if they never took third grade English. Layout and design is also incredibly huge to me. If your site is annoying to look at, I'm definitely not going to waste my time sticking around to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree with these. There are some things that may promote religion and politics, you won't find me there. Not that I don't have religious or politic views I just get uninterested. There are times I won't look at kids crafts, or school lesson plans and pictures of what your child did over the weekend. Again, not that I don't think your kid(s) are cute but I don't have children...so I can not relate. I totally get where you are going with this. This is why I read a certain number of blogs and keep returning to the same ones. There is so much pressure sometimes to follow and comment on posts and if you aren't interested in the content...why comment? At times you may feel like you are wasting your time. Not that the blogger isn't good at what he/she does, you just aren't interested. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with all of these. My Bloglovin' was at over 350 unread posts in about 4 days. That number gave me soo much anxiety that I had to go through and start weeding out blogs that I just don't have the same interests with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep!!! There is almost nothing I hate more than the pop up ad in the middle of the screen that I have to either click on or "x" out of to continue reading. I just hit the big red one at the top of my screen instead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was such a great post for me to read as a new blogger. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All great points! I especially hate the pop ups that ask me to like or subscribe as soon as I open my browser. I just got here! I don't know if I like you enough to subscribe yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I honestly hate going to blogs that I can't read! It's dark and I can't find what I'm looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh my, it's like you're inside my head… good post lady. Bloggers who interact are good too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally agree with these and especially the video pop ups! Hate those! Especially because I am probably reading your blog while I am at work...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agree with the video ads... I read blogs during nap time. If my computer is turned way up from face timing with grandma last night and results in a random video ad waking up the baby I'm never reading that blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with all of these. I'd say one of the biggest turn off for me is layout. If I can't figure out how to find what I'm looking for or if your page is all over the place and makes it hard for me to read...no thank you. I'm here to have as positive experience connecting with you and if you're writing is bad and hard to understand and if your blog is not understandable...nope.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yep! Pretty much all of these are reasons I won't follow or will unfollow a blog! There's just not enough time in a day to follow blogs like these.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I couldn't agree more!!! There are soooooo many blogs out there, finding the time to read them all is so hard!! When you're a hot mess, seriously a turnoff!!! Great post, lady!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have the hardest time trying to find time to read blogs so I totally relate to this stuff. There has to be something substantial to keep me coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I read this post from my phone yesterday and didn't comment but I loved it. Just wanted to let you know :).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 9:57 AM

    Thank you, Beth! I appreciate you reading :-) Have a good day, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 9:57 AM

    Agreed! Life is too short to be tangled up in bad blogs. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 9:58 AM

    Thanks, Alycia! I appreciate you reading. Have a wonderful day!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:06 AM

    Exactly! Thanks so much for reading, Susannah. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:07 AM

    Oh, that's a great one. I've experienced that too and when you're trying too hard, it just comes across as awkward. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM

    Bingo! Keep it simple, appealing and for the love of God, at the very least, use spell and grammar check!! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:12 AM

    Lord, yes!!! There is nothing more unforgiving than waking a child up at nap time. That's "me time" and if I have to give that up, oh hell no! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:12 AM

    Right?! Let's not let everyone know that we're blogging instead of working. ;-) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:13 AM

    Thanks, Sarita! I appreciate you reading. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:14 AM

    Agreed. I've been to a few blogs where the design is a dark background and the font color isn't much lighter and I bang my head in my hands and think WHYYYYYY??!! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:14 AM

    Me too! Um, hello! I'm trying to read what you have to say - cut it out, already! Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:15 AM

    You're very welcome, Bethany. Thanks for reading and good luck on your blogging journey!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:15 AM

    Bingo! My thoughts AND actions exactly. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  32. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:17 AM

    Yes, mine was busting at the seams and when you want to be a great blogger, it's nerve-wracking trying to keep up. Thanks for reading, Lexi!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:18 AM

    Great, great points, Christine. Sometimes, it all simply comes down to what you can relate to and there is nothing wrong with that. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:19 AM

    Ditto. I'm the same way. It's almost like dating - there has to be that initial "looks" connection or I'm out. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:19 AM

    Super great points, friend. I totally agree and thanks always for your support! I appreciate you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  36. Courtney PattersonMarch 12, 2015 at 10:20 AM

    Thanks, Ashley! I appreciate you reading. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I agree with so many of these! I also have a hard time reading blogs that never have photos (or have really terrible ones). I guess I'm a bit of a photo snob, but dark, gritty, blurry photos are such a turnoff for me.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Momista BeginningsMarch 26, 2015 at 1:02 PM

    Amen, sister! I totally agree with all of these, especially the annoyances with ads! If my little cursor keeps turning into that not-so-cute little rainbow wheel because my computer has to wait to load all of the ad/pop-up nonsense that is your blog..then I'm OUT!!! I can't stand that. I, too, follow more blogs than I can keep up with and lately, I've been trying to weed out the duds. -Misty

    ReplyDelete
  39. Courtney PattersonMarch 26, 2015 at 6:15 PM

    Thanks so much for reading, Misty!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Good insights! I want to get to know a blogger. Otherwise the content feels so generic - like they are just scratching the surface. And the ads! I hate when I see one smack in the middle of a post.

    ReplyDelete