30 April 2015

Coffee for Two :: April Edition



It’s month two of Coffee for Two and I’m so glad you are joining us today! Stephanie and I received great feedback and participation last month regarding the link up, which is simply icing on the cake as your hosts. Our goal was to start a link up that had the feel of a supportive community where moms and women could come together and really lay out what’s on their hearts and minds in a judge free zone so thanks for being a part of that!

The winner of March’s Starbucks gift card is Sandy from Keepin It Real One Day at a Time. She shared a fabulous post on her weight loss journey and it really resonated with a lot of people. This honest look at how we need to love ourselves as much as we love others is a must read. Check it out when you can!



So, if you and I were having coffee, these are the thoughts I’d share with you right now that have been on my heart and mind lately…

I’ve been having some crazy ass fears about losing my child lately. As you may or may not have heard, last week the Georgia Southern University community (where I work) lost 3 amazing young ladies due to a horrific car wreck in Savannah. To add to this, one of my favorite bloggers who I follow on the regular, Baby Boy Bakery, is coming up on the one year anniversary of the death of her child. Ryan was a beautiful boy who was three and a half when his life was taken way too soon by a driver of a truck in his family’s neighborhood. Before I had a child, these stories would have affected me but now that I am a mother, it affects me on a whole different level. I can’t even begin to imagine losing a child so hearing and reading about these mother’s struggles really fucking pulls at my heart. If you can, take a moment to pray for all these ladies and their families.

…#ISupportHER. Let’s talk about Bruce Jenner for a moment, shall we? A lot has already been said about this topic but considering that A. there are so many ignorant assholes out there worried about other people’s choices on how they live their lives and who they choose to love, you know, choices that have ZERO affect whatsoever on their own lives and families and B. as a result love to spread their hate and ignorance while hiding behind the veil of being “Christian” to C. having ZERO clue what this choice by Bruce Jenner really even means, leaves me to feel like I have A LOT to say about this but I’ll just leave it at this…

Shut the fuck up already. This is a personal choice by one individual; a choice that has no bearing or impact on your life whatsoever. And really, why do you care so much? Put your efforts into more important things like, say, minding your own business? I will never understand the hate and intolerance that permeates our world today and I will never understand the obsession people have with celebrity. We are all different people, with different souls and different minds and honestly, how fucking beautiful and amazing is that? I hope and pray that by the time my daughter is my age, things will be better for people of all genders, color and orientation. I commend Bruce and I hope the courage she is showing now to live life free and honestly in the open will inspire other men and women to do the same. I think we need more brave souls like this in our world today.



…What the fuck am I supposed to be doing? My life is in a season of transition at the moment and I feel absolutely discombobulated with regards to it all. My whole career has been in marketing and while I love what I do, I have this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I should be doing something else with my life. The problem?
I have no fucking idea what that something else should be and because of this, I’m left to think and contemplate it over and over and over to the point of exhaustion. I’m really hoping the light bulb turns on soon because I really don’t know how many more times I can seriously contemplate owning a taco food truck. 

(Yes, this is one of my ideas. Shut up. I love tacos.)

…I found myself to be jealous of my cat last night. Yes, you read that right – my cat. After Chickie went to bed last night, Michael and I spent the rest of the evening in bed watching old season of Mad Men. It was the perfect opportunity to snuggle up and relax with my fella but Kitten Butt had other ideas. For two hours, Michael and Kitten lay together, his arm around her all snuggled up and while this would have been an “Awwww” moment for most ladies, I was all like, “WTF.” Seriously Kitten, WTF. Get your own man.

…A couple of weeks ago I got back down into the 100’s with my weight and vowed to never go backwards again. Well, a container of Moe’s cinnamon crisps, copious amounts of wine and a few Mexican meals later, I think I may have to eat those words.

(Haha…eat those words…I kill myself…)

I have zero clue what my deal has been since I last stepped on the scale but ever since that day, it’s like I’ve given myself an extended “You should celebrate your weight loss by eating” celebration. Makes perfect sense, right? I really need to reel it in but food tastes so good. #thestruggleisreal

So those are the random thoughts going on inside my mind. What would you share if we were having coffee together today?
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

6 comments:

  1. Girl, I celebrate weight loss by eating more, too. I don't own a scale for reasons like this. Too dangerous. On a serious note, the fear of losing a child is real and my heart goes out to those who have lost and suffered. Will definitely be praying for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, the scale is my nemesis. You know how I got out of the 190s? Yep, back in them. You'll get back to it. You're just doing through a thing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Desiree @ Macke MonologuesApril 30, 2015 at 8:42 PM

    I do not understand why others are so concerned with Bruce Jenner. I can't even imagine how difficult this transition must be - in the public eye - yet, she's doing it with so much grace. I sure hope when she finishes this particular journey (however far along that may be), that she is 100% happy.
    And life and what to do. Gah. I go through this every.damn.day. I want so much more, but I don't even know *what* I want more of, or where the hell to start. Let's open a taco truck together and call it a day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you on so many of these things, but specifically work and weight. It took me years to make a leap with my career. Anyway, it's been a rocky road, this new career, but I think it was the right choice, maybe? So, I thought it would make sense to share my post about all the things I told myself would be amazing as soon as I quit my job (spoiler alert: I was wrong). I hope it's OK to share a post that's not from April.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll get into the weight issue a different day. I've been working up to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RoseTintedGlassesMay 1, 2015 at 7:54 AM

    The weight thing - yes. It doesn't even cross my mind that I'm celebrating with food, I just do it :/ funny how the baby weight came and went, but that scale would just just creep up and up since my daughter turned 1.


    And fear of losing your child - my heart honestly aches when I hear about the awful stories and I think 'what if that would happen to us?'. It's my biggest fear in life, and to be fair I don't think I'll ever be able to not have that in the back of my mind.

    ReplyDelete