07 April 2015

Good and Good For You :: Sweet Potato Black Bean Casserole



A few weeks back, I posted this delicious and healthy recipe courtesy of the Hungry Healthy Girl. I had it coupled into a Friday Five post so I don’t think it got the coverage it deserves so I’m righting that wrong today. You guys know I’m not great about sharing recipes on the blog so when I do, you know it has to be good. 

PLUS, this one pan meal is time friendly to busy working moms and SAHM’s, easy on the budget and will taste even better on day two as leftovers.


This casserole is absolutely scrumptious - so much so, that Michael had thirds and Chickie woofed it off her plate pretty much instantaneously. It also made our home smell heavenly (I think it was the cinnamon). Another added bonus? This casserole is completely vegan and gluten-free so if that’s your thing, this is perfect for you.

Ingredients
  • 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced (cook in the microwave for about 3-5 minutes, to soften)
  • 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
  • ½ an onion, chopped
  • 1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup salsa, divided
  • 2-4 tortillas, depending on size (corn, flour, sprouted, gluten-free or whole wheat)
  • 4 oz. shredded cheese, use vegan as desired (optional)
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Instructions
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray an 8 x 8 baking dish with a natural cooking spray; set aside.
  • In a large bowl, combine diced sweet potato, black beans, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, chili powder, garlic salt, and cinnamon.
  • Spread ½ cup salsa on the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange a tortilla on top, ripping into strips to get the right fit. Spoon a large layer of sweet potato/black bean mixture over tortilla strips. Spread the remaining ½ cup salsa over the sweet potato/black bean layer.
  • Add one more layer of tortillas and then add the rest of the sweet potato/black bean mixture over the tortilla layer. Top with cheese, if using.
  • Bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes and until cheese is melted and top is slightly browned. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve. Top with additional salsa, cilantro, and/or avocado, if desired.
  • Enjoy! I know you will!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: serves 6



If black beans aren’t your thing, omit those and double up on the sweet potatoes. I really think this recipe is very flexible so play with it a little bit and if you come up with any variations, I would love to know about it so I can try them myself!

Enjoy!

http://www.greenlovinggirl.com/

Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

18 comments:

  1. Looks so good Courtney! I am a total Foodie..pinning this :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to trying this. Sweet potatoes and black beans have always been one of my favorite combos. And, it looks sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm drooling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOh that does sound yummy. Gonna print this out to add to our binder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Desiree @ Macke MonologuesApril 7, 2015 at 5:30 PM

    This is still on my must-make list!! It looks and sounds ah-may-zing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds SO good!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet potatoes and black beans?! Yes please! Sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Courtney PattersonApril 9, 2015 at 11:12 AM

    It's a delicious combination and SO GOOOOD. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Courtney PattersonApril 9, 2015 at 11:12 AM

    Thanks, and thanks for reading, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Courtney PattersonApril 9, 2015 at 11:13 AM

    Girl, you will LOVE it. I'm doubling up on the sweet potatoes the next time we make it which will be soon! XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Courtney PattersonApril 9, 2015 at 11:13 AM

    Thanks, Julie and thanks so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Courtney PattersonApril 9, 2015 at 11:13 AM

    Ha! Me too! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Courtney PattersonApril 9, 2015 at 11:14 AM

    Agreed! You will love this casserole. Let me know what you think when you try it. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Courtney PattersonApril 9, 2015 at 11:14 AM

    Try it!! You will LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Courtney PattersonApril 9, 2015 at 11:15 AM

    Thanks, Linda! You will really enjoy this if you like that kind of a combo. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Courtney PattersonApril 9, 2015 at 11:15 AM

    Me too. I love food wayyyy to much. Thanks for sharing and reading!

    ReplyDelete
  17. While we are lovers, I can't do this dinner. Maybe we when hang, we can just eat out or survive on PB&J... I eat like a toddler.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is new to me but it does look yummy! Thanks for linking up to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Party. I have pinned your post to the Bloggers Brags Pinterest Board.

    ReplyDelete