03 June 2015

Hump Day Mommy Confessions

Shiraz In My Sippy Cup Mommy Confessions



ONE. I hate selfie sticks. Hate probably isn’t even the right word to describe how much I despise those things but at the risk of losing half my readership, I’ll keep my salty, foul comments to myself. I think people standing around a selfie stick to get the “perfect picture” look like asses. To be clear, I do love to take selfies, I really do but whatever happened to the good ol organic, reach your arm out as far as it will go picture? I think selfies are fun, especially when I’m doing one with my four year old so I get why people take them but a selfie stick? Maybe we’re taking this age of convenience, technology and social media a little too seriously.



TWO. I’ve finally got my cooking shit together and even made a complete meal plan for this week. Our dinner situation was getting completely out of hand and by out of hand, I totally confess that we were relying too much on restaurants and fast food lately to make our evenings easier. It was completely ridiculous because A. I can cook and B. It’s a money drain. #duh So, I sat down this past Saturday, prepared a meal plan, went grocery shopping and have been cooking every night this week. I have to admit that I’ve really enjoyed it. I love to cook and it’s soothing for me to pour a glass of wine, turn on a little Billie Holiday and zone out from a full day of work while I’m whipping up some vittles for my family.



THREE. To work or not to work, that is the question. If you’ve been hanging around these parts for any length of time then you know I’m a mom who loves to work outside of the home. I’m a huge proponent for working moms but if I’m being honest, I’ve felt a huge desire and need to be home lately. I’m not sure where this feeling is coming from (possibly from watching too much Mad Men? I kid) but with some new opportunities coming our way for our family, I’m giving some serious consideration to the idea of being home. It’s important to both Michael and myself that Maddy be in day care so she continues to grow in social, mental and physical well-being so she will continue to be in school all day but for me? I think I need a temporary change and an opportunity to expand myself in other areas. We’ll see.

FOUR. I despise one of Maddy’s classmates at day care. This sounds horrible, doesn’t it? To say that you can’t stand a five year old but it’s true – this little girl grates my nerves to no end and most days, I want to punch her in the face. I understand and tolerate typical preschool behavior because let’s be honest – they’re all a little bratty at this age. This girl however takes it to a whole new level. She’s always bragging about what her parents just bought her, she’s always correcting and bossing around the other kids and has absolutely zero respect for personal space. Just last week while she was trying to show me the new Frozen watch her mom bought her, she got up on my body and was touching my boobs and rubbing all over my stomach.



Needless to say, I’m not a fan.


FIVE. I gave Michael’s ex-boss the finger in traffic. We happened to pull up to the same stoplight beside each other. It’s a very long story as to why I have such disdain for this woman but needless to say, she deserved it…and I would absolutely, 100% do it again. One of my proudest moments? No. Did it make me feel extremely happy as I pulled off laughing with glee? YES.

What do you have to confess this week? 


http://www.greenlovinggirl.com/


Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your Wednesday confessions. The meal you made looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Momista BeginningsJune 3, 2015 at 12:08 PM

    Haha, these are so great. I always enjoy reading your "confessions" posts. And just so you know, I'm not in the least bit offended when you go uncensored ;) Your meals look awesome. I have a dry-erase magnetic menu that's on my fridge. Every Sunday, I write out the meals I plan to make for the week and create a shopping list immediately after with all ingredients I'll need. This way, I'm organized but even better, it keeps my husband from asking the most annoying question of the day, "What's for dinner?" Check the menu, buddy. -Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number four cracks me up! There's always at least one little a-hole kid you can't stand. I need to get back into meal planning. When I don't do it, it really messes up our grocery budget!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Twitchetts BlogspotJune 3, 2015 at 12:41 PM

    Awesome!! Yes I tend to despise a few little ones in my son's class from time to time. I just hope I have instilled enough common sense in his head to offset the things that could rub off on him at school...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha there's a kid at Abbie's daycare that's always snitching on Abbie, but she's not too bad. That cracks me up.


    And I'm with you on the selfie sticks. Come on, people. You just look ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my glob those mushrooms. Give them all to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:46 PM

    Aren't they amazing?! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:47 PM

    Snitches end up in ditches. ;-) Who would want to rag on sweet Abbie? That's just crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:47 PM

    Exactly!! I hope so too, for both our sakes. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:48 PM

    Let's be honest - littles are challenging but some are just straight up assholes. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:49 PM

    That's a great idea. I posted my hand-written version on the fridge but I'm always looking for an excuse to decorate and organize. ;-) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:49 PM

    Thanks, Shelah! I appreciate you reading. Enjoy the rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahahaha. Chris said "Snitches get Stitches." And its usually silly things...like "Abbie took my toy." Um, you're two years older than her, kid. Get over it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Desiree @ Macke MonologuesJune 3, 2015 at 5:18 PM

    There's a kid Marcus and I see almost daily and some days I just want to shake her (but not to the point of doing any serious damage). I also want to shake the mother for allowing such terrible, out of hand behavior. You are not alone in disliking a small child.


    I must confess. We own a selfie stick. It was a gift at Christmas. However, I have no idea where it is in our home. Obviously we use it a lot...


    Can't wait to see what future endeavors are in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with your decision regarding work. I don't know you personally (uh, obviously), but i sense we are close in age/work experience years and I was in marketing as well. It was a tough and emotional decision to leave the workplace and go it alone. I also kept my daughter in daycare because I don't think I could handle being a full-time SAHM and, you know, social development, etc., but also because my plan was to work, if not a full-time schedule, then 30 or so hours a week. I can't do that when she's home.


    I'm 4+ months in, and I'll be honest, the first months were hard from the perspective of figuring out what I was doing (I thought I knew what I was doing), coming up with a schedule for myself, being in a general routine, trying to stay positive that I hadn't made a huge mistake -- oh, and feeling like I had to explain that yes, I was home and yes, my daughter was still in daycare. But things are starting to fall into place now and even though I'm getting paid approximately 1/5 of what I was making, I'm feeling good about my decision. Here's what I came back to -- if it doesn't work out, someone will hire me to do something and the worst case scenario is just that, having to go back into the workforce and potentially having to take a job that paid less than my previous one.


    I hope it all shakes out the way you want it to.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There was a little girl at playgroup who knocked my daughter's tower down...on purpose. Grrrr... Some kids - like some grown-ups - you just can't stand. P.S. Selfie-sticks are the stupidest thing ever! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my word Courtney, reading these made my night. :) I kind of agree with you about selfie sticks... It's to the point now where I feel awkward offering to take a stranger's picture because I'm tired of being told, "no, we're going selfie style..." ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have all sorts of things I would like to say to my ex-boss whenever I next see him...but then my husband said the more powerful thing to do would be to pretend to not recognize him and say "Oh I'm sorry, do I know you?" if he tries to start a conversation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Confession: I used to hate selfie sticks, and then I bought one. We were in Ireland for our honeymoon for the past two weeks and though it's a beautiful country, I hate going on vacation and taking pictures of just the landscape and sights and then deleting them later because they don't mean anything to me. So instead we bought a selfie stick so we could take pictures of us WITH the Irish landscape in the background.

    ReplyDelete