23 June 2015

Meet Stephanie from Wife Mommy Me : The 5 Biggest Perks of Moving

In 2012, my husband and I along with our 8 week old son decided to take relocate to Austin, Texas from Dayton, Ohio. Not only did we decide to move, we did so during a snow storm and to a city and state in which we only knew my husbands co-workers. As someone who doesn't like change, this was a huge deal for me. While the move wasn't something that I wanted, it did teach me that there are perks of moving across the country. 


Moving Perk #1

You get the chance to de-clutter and get all the extra junk out of your house. We moved 4 days after Christmas and while it wasn't the ideal time to move in Ohio, we were able to purge our home of items that we didn't need or didn't use. I found things I didn't even know we had in our kitchen cabinets. Clothes that we wouldn't be needing in Texas were donated to Goodwill. All in all, 4 boxes of "extra" stuff left our house to be donated and shared with family and friends.



Moving Perk #2

New place, new lessons. I love Ohio but prior to moving, it was all my husband and I ever knew. Having been born and raised in Ohio, we hadn't had the opportunity to experience a ton of cultural. Moving to Texas opened our hearts, eyes and minds in so many ways. For the first time ever, I meet a Mormon and was taught first hand about their religion and way of life. We meet folks from all over the country; Austin is the melting pot of Texas. We were given access to new foods that aren't available in our home state.



Moving Perk #3

Moving away from family and friends allowed us to create new friendships. When we moved to ATX, we knew a handful of folks from my husband's work. If we wanted a social life, we would have to make new friends. Between coworkers and girls in my Mom group, James and I cultivated friendships that will continue to grow and be important to us regardless of our zip code. Moving forced us to open up and create bonds with folks who weren't lifelong friends.



Moving Perk #4

You get the chance at a fresh start. Between a new home, friends and job, moving allows you the chance to have a fresh start in life. I met a ton of folks in Texas that moved there to experience something new. I love this way of thinking! Life is short so why not try something different. We were in Texas 2 years before moving back home and while I missed home like crazy, being a Texan for 2 years was such a wonderful adventure.



Moving Perk #5

Successfully completing the challenge of a move. Regardless if you are moving 2 cities away or 2,000 miles, moving is tough. It takes a bit of finesse and a lot of hope that things will go smoothly, that you'll still been in your right mind when all is said and done. Regardless of how big of a move you undertaking, there is always a sense of "We survived!" when the move is over. Knowing that you took the challenge of moving and survived to tell about it is always a great feelings.



So Courtney, Michael and Chickie, welcome to the North! Welcome to being just 4 hours away from us. As a total Yankee, I welcome you with open arms and a class or two of Shiraz.



Want more of Stephanie? Connect with her via these social media outlets:
  

Our Family Blog || Wife Mommy Me Facebook Fanpage

Instagram and Twitt
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

5 comments:

  1. I love trying to see the silver linings in things. :) As someone who has moved halfway across the country twice (with a newborn each time!!), I totally agree with these "perks" of moving. I love the decluttering aspect, and that it forces you to step out of your comfort zone and meet new people and try new things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss moving! I've moved every two years for the past six years—this is the longest I've been in one place and I have the itch to move again SO BAD. These are spot on. If I could add one perk it'd be that you get to discover a new area, and I love doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. De-cluttering is one of the best parts of moving! I lived in Cincinnati for several years - always fun to meet other bloggers who lived in Ohio!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just about to say that #1 is my absolute favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moving is so stressful and you feel so annoyed most of the time. This is why it's good that there are such articles, to remind you the goods sides of all this madness. I work this so I know from personal experience how hard can it be physically and emotionally.
    website

    ReplyDelete