02 June 2015

My Two Favorite B's: Brussels Sprouts & Bacon!



As much as I love my meat, I have to admit that I have a very strong affection for vegetables. I’ve yet to meet a veggie that I didn’t love, especially brussels sprouts. Imagine my sheer joy and elation to finally figure out that I should pair the two together, my two favorite B’s: brussels sprouts and bacon. #duh

Aside from the fact that brussels sprouts are ridiculously cheap, they are also pretty damn delicious and healthy. The trick is to find a way to prepare them that works for you. Some people like plain boiled sprouts. Others like to have a little more flavor (Ahem, me). 

If you’ve been on the fence with brussels sprouts, this recipe will change your mind for the better, I promise.  Besides, isn’t everything better with bacon?



What You Need:
·         1 – 2 packages of fresh brussels sprouts. You can buy these many different ways: Organic or pre-packaged. Pick the choice that is right for you. You’ll want to have around 25 to 30 sprouts.
·         4 – 5 strips of uncooked bacon, chopped
·         2 teaspoons minced garlic
·         ¼ cup olive oil
·         Around 2 tablespoons rock salt or Kosher salt (Use a coarse salt variety. I usually eyeball this measurement to taste.)
·         Pepper to taste

How You’ll Make It:
·         Cut sprouts in half lengthwise making sure to remove any bad or extra leaves.
·         Pour the olive oil in your pan and heat on high.
·         Add your chopped bacon and cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
·         Add your sprouts and pepper to taste and sautée until they begin to look brown and crispy around the edges. They will also darken in the middle and become tender. (YUM!)
·         Add your garlic and cook for about a minute longer. You want to make sure to add your garlic at the very end so that it doesn’t burn. By now, your sprouts should be tender and your bacon crispy.
·         Use a strainer to drain off any excess oil and fat.
·         Serve hot and delicious!

The amazing thing about brussels sprouts is that they are such a flexible vegetable so feel free to use any additional spices you would like. This recipe can be used as a main dish with a salad or as a side dish to any meal. Chickie loved these sprouts so any recipe that will make my 4 year old want to eat veggies is a win in my book.

Give it a try, enjoy and let me know what you think!

http://www.greenlovinggirl.com/

Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

29 comments:

  1. You made brussel sprouts look very yummy! I might have to give them another chance.
    :-)
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe actually makes me want to cook and eat brussel sprouts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! I just recently did bacon wrapped asparagus and it was a hit at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I got over being picky about brussels sprouts because they are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though I am from Belgium, I never liked Brussels Sprouts but these do look good so i'll give them one more try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Twitchetts BlogspotJune 2, 2015 at 1:19 PM

    Wow these look great!! I add bacon to cabbage and spinach so my kiddos eat it, never thought of brussels sprouts. Will be picking some of these up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG.. I love brussel sprouts and bacon!! This looks amazing.. I pinned for later :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Momista BeginningsJune 2, 2015 at 6:30 PM

    Brussels Sprouts = my favorite vegetable! I've always only eaten them with a dipping sauce my husband introduced me to, the simple combo of mayonnaise and soy sauce! The husband loves bacon, I'll have to give this one a try. Looks pretty dang good :) -Misty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really am not a brussel sprouts fan but I'll try anything with bacon-- turkey bacon at least :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh hells yes. this is RIGHT up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummmm Brussels are the best!! Oh and bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never thought brussel sprouts could look so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So.... are you going to come cook dinner for me now??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:50 PM

    HaHa! I told Stephanie I would cook for her since she has a hard time with french toast. If she's willing to give me up, I'm all yours!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:50 PM

    These are delicious!!! You will LOVE them. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:51 PM

    Bacon makes anything and everything better. Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:51 PM

    Right?! Good with a hint of a little bad. It's soooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:52 PM

    You will love these. This version isn't your momma's old way of cooking them that's for sure. So much flavor from the garlic and bacon makes it yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:52 PM

    I'll have to try that dipping sauce - sounds yummy! Thanks so much for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:53 PM

    Thanks, Lauren. Let me know what you think but I'm pretty sure you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:53 PM

    And I in turn have never thought about adding bacon to cabbage so it's a win/win for the both of us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:54 PM

    Let me know what you think! I would love to know from someone who has lived in Belgium!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:54 PM

    Seriously, so good. I really feel like people are missing out when they say they don't want to eat them, lol. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:54 PM

    That's a great idea! I will have to remember that one, too. Thanks for reading, Stacy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:55 PM

    Let me know what you think of you make them. I would love to know your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:55 PM

    If you try the recipe, let me know what you think. I'm always curious when someone tries one of my recipes. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Courtney PattersonJune 3, 2015 at 3:56 PM

    Do it - you will LOVE these! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So it sounds like I need to post a French Toast recipe...lol

    ReplyDelete