24 July 2015

Letters to Madeline: Happy 4th Birthday!



Dearest Madeline:

Here we are on your fourth Birthday. Can you explain to me how this happened?! When I close my eyes and think of you, most times I still see you as my little, precious baby…



But you’re not.

You have grown into a beautiful, tenacious, curious, funny and wickedly smart preschooler.


At four years old, you are a healthy, happy, super active, curious, observant, wide open, hysterically funny girl. You are wickedly smart {More so than your parents and most people to which your father and I are scared to death. Ay yi yi...} and you constantly amaze us with your quick wit. You have more sass and attitude than your little body can hold and the same qualities that drive us insane - your stubbornness, your defiance, and your passion are the very same things that will take you far in life. Your father and I are so very proud of you, my love. You are a headstrong little lady...I have a feeling this will be a challenge for your dad and I as you get older. It's okay, my Chickie. We'll get through the bumps together.

You have a few loves in your life, mostly food, bubbles, donuts and your best friend, our sheltie Henry. From the day we brought you home from the hospital, you and Henry have been BFF's. You play together and watch movies together but what really grabs at my heartstrings is how he sleeps with you in your room at night. You guys are so cute to watch together. You also love to watch movies with your favorites being Frozen, Monster's University and Toy Story. Your favorite shows to watch on TV are Curious George, Paw Patrol and Team Umi Zoomi. A big first for you this year was going to your very first movie in the theatre. Daddy and me took you to see Minions and you loved every second of it...especially the copious amounts of candy and popcorn.






At four, you have so many things in your life that you love and enjoy: playing kitchen, doing anything outdoors, tennis, baseball, swimming and anything having to do with the water and you LOVE airplanes. It's amazing to sit back and watch you play with your toys as you come up with stories and scenarios that usually, make absolutely no sense to your dad and me but hey - you're happy and that's all that matters. 

You are bossy, silly, and talkative like your mom yet observant, reserved, and particular like your daddy. You can be quick to explode but also oh so fast to dish out the snuggles, kisses and lovies. Even at the age of four, you have an amazing ability to sense the need for compassion and kindness as you are always quick to help clean up your messes, say "bless you" after sneezes and will rub our heads and ask "You okay mommy?" God, how that melts me. Literally overnight, you turned into a little adult talking in full sentences, asking questions, being able to discern situations and you’re always the first to scold daddy and I when we say bad words.




At four, you are truly the light of all our lives. You are completely and utterly adored by your grandparents and everyone you meet is instantly a friend. You have brought so much joy and happiness to so many people and in so many ways, you have made our family complete. You are the light of Poppy's life, the twinkle in Grandma's eye and the debate is still going strong between your Aunt Ashley and Aunt Jordan as to who the favorite aunt is. It's safe to say that you have us all smitten.

At four, you are imperfectly perfect my little Chickie. I gave you life but it is you who saved mine. Thank you for being my inspiration and motivation to be the best woman and mommy I can be. Thank you for showing me how to love your daddy in a whole new way I never thought possible. Thank you for showing me so many more lessons about myself than I've taught you up to this point. Your daddy and I are so proud of you and the little person you're becoming. You will always have our love, our support, and most importantly - our hearts. Thank you for being, well, you. Stay awesome, my love and continue to kick ass. Always, kick ass.

Happy Birthday and love forever and always,

Mommy and daddy




Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

5 comments:

  1. Aw what a beautiful girl happy fourth birthday sweetie! I love the photoshoot with the painting backdrop and the apples it looks beautifully quaint!http://www.fadedspring.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Maddy!! We love you, too! and wish you the happiest of birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Happy Birthday Madeline!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 4th Birthday to your sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday, Madeline! She looks like such a fun ball of energy!

    ReplyDelete