29 July 2015

Love and Hate

On Monday, my girl Stephanie from Wife Mommy Me talked a little bit about the things she loves and hates in life. As a result, she tagged a few of her blog friends to join in on the fun, one of them being yours truly. I always enjoy posts like these because you get to learn a little bit about the person behind the blog and so many times, I feel like I’m writing about a lot of heavy issues so it’s nice to lighten things up every now and again.



ONE // Clean bed sheets hot and fresh from the dryer. Is there anything better than sliding into bed on a set of warm, clean bed sheets? I don’t think so.

TWO // Christmas. Let me put it this way: this year when it came time to take down our tree, it made me so sad that I decided to leave ours up year round. I also play Christmas music when I’m working or cleaning and I further admit that you may see me pinning Christmas related things on Pinterest. It’s the most wonderful time of the year, y’all.

THREE // My relationship with Christ. In an older post from this year, I talked a little bit about religion and what we believe, and while my views may not resonate with most people, for me it works. I believe in Christ and the divine plan for all mankind. Many times throughout the day, I talk and commune with the Lord and share my concerns, my joys, my wants and my needs with Him. I listen quietly for His answers. Sometimes they come right away, other times they do not but regardless, I feel His spirit with me always. My personal and private relationship with my Heavenly Father is an important aspect of my life even though from the outward appearance, may not seem so.

My belief is simply this: I don’t think sitting in a building on a weekly basis makes anyone more Christian or holier than the person who chooses not to attend a worship service, and while reading the scriptures gives us an outline and foundation to guide our lives and choices, I believe that the actions and works of a person shows what they truly believe far more than reading pages in a book. Christ lived his life as a teacher but more so, put into action what He believed by living His life as an example to others through His works, deeds and interactions with His fellow man.

And this is the main principle I hope to instill in our daughter – that faith without works is dead.


FOUR // Tacos. Never, ever in the history of all food given to mankind was none better than the taco. Y’all know that scene in Forest Gump where he goes on and on about the different ways to prepare shrimp? Yep, that’s me with a taco. Chicken tacos, spicy shrimp tacos, street tacos, veggie tacos, pork tacos…


FIVE // The Tennessee Volunteers and All Things Tennessee. I was born in Nashville, lived in Chattanooga for a time and my alma mater is Middle Tennessee State University. Our family have been HUGE Vols fans since God was a child. Growing up, my grandparents’ home was orange with white trim, they had a white and orange checkerboard mailbox, a camper named Smokey to travel to all the home games in and both of their cars were white with an orange stripe decal down the side. I remember curling up in the floor and watching the Vols play with my PaPa when I was young. Like, really young. I think watching the Vols play for him was the closest thing to heaven. Now in my home, we yell “GO BIG ORANGE,” sing Rocky Top and yep, I normally get a little misty-eyed at the beginning of each home game during the running of the T.


SIX // Fall, Winter and Snow. Simply put, I don’t get down with summer, sweat, bugs and heat. No thank you. Give me a cozy sweater, a hot pumpkin spice latte, boots, a cute scarf and some snow fall any day of the week.


SEVEN // Paper Planners, Paper Books…Paper. Yes, I’m aware that we’re in the year 2015. I’m also aware that there are a gazillion electronic devices to help reduce the use of paper, but here’s the thing – some things should never cease to exist in paper. I get why people love their iPads, Kindles, blah blah blah but for me, holding and reading a paper book is the best feeling in the world. I love to snuggle up under a blanket or in bed with a great paper book and a glass of wine. To me, it’s just not the same feeling holding a cold machine in my hand (and yes, I’ve tried.) I love to see floor to ceiling bookshelves stuffed with paper books and as much as I’ve tried, I just can’t keep an electronic calendar. I love to have my old school paper book planner where I can take notes, plan and keep important documents in front of me.


EIGHT // My Family. They are crazy, unpredictable, annoying, fun, nosy and so much more but you know what? They are mine. Always have been and always will be. No matter who comes and goes in my life, they will always stay. They have always been there for me during my most trying times in life when no one else was and for them and their undying support, I am eternally grateful.


NINE // Going Out for Breakfast on Sunday Morning. Truthfully, I love breakfast food anytime of the day but there is something so soothing and relaxing about spending a morning out with a giant plate of pancakes, a full cup of coffee and the ones you love all around you. It’s even better when you just take the time to sit back and talk and fellowship.


TEN // Cooking. Confession: there was a time when I had zero clue what I was doing in the kitchen. I specifically remember the first time I tried to make spaghetti sauce from scratch. Long story short, I added so much garlic to the sauce that not even the dog would eat it. Nowadays, I throw down in the kitchen and have become quite an amazing cook. Getting in the kitchen, chopping, dicing, stirring and meal planning for me and my family is very therapeutic for me and brings a wonderful feeling of calm and peace into my day. I’ve really grown to love it.





ONE // When People Blow Their Nose at the Dinner Table. Ew, just ew. I know there are certain instances where it can’t be helped but really, get your ass up and leave the table.


TWO // Smoking. Want to wreck your body and temp the big “C” word? Go for it, just don’t bring that nasty habit around me or my child. NO.


THREE // All Things Alabama. If you’re confused by this, refer back up to number five in the “Love” set and you’ll know why.


FOUR // Mess, Disorganization and Clutter. True story: you can always tell I’m irritated by my surroundings if my left eye starts twitching. I have to have order and cleanliness otherwise, I look like I’m winking at everyone.


FIVE // Over Cooked Meat. There is only one way a fillet should ever be cooked: RARE. There is nothing worse than being served a nasty plate of shoe leather.


SIX // Tardiness. I mean, really. How hard is it to plan ahead accordingly??!! Okay, we all get stuck in the occasional traffic jam or something happens at home with the kids to prevent us from getting out of the door on time but if you’re habitually late or make it a point for your motto to be, “Better late than never” and I’m always sitting around wasting my time (which is just as valuable) then we can’t be friends. #sorrynotsorry


SEVEN // Poor Hygiene. If you’re a grown ass adult, then it’s very simple: brush your damn teeth. Bathe. Put on some type of deodorant. Clean out your damn ears once in a blue moon. Clip your toe nails so that it doesn’t look like you’re sporting two sets of eagle talons on your feet. Brush your hair instead of it looking like a bird perched on your head and made a nest. Regardless of what the Peanuts cartoon will tell you, one wants to hang with a pig pen.


Eight // Talking on the Phone. My parents will get a kick out of this one because growing up, my ears were permanently glued to the house phone. Nowadays? I can’t stand to talk on the phone, save, unless it’s a dear friend or relative that I’m talking to. I really dig snail mail and texting but talking on the phone? I’d rather scoop my eyes out with a spoon. #IKnowImWeird


NINE // Sunshine. It’s glaring and gives me a headache. Truly, my most favorite days are the ones where it’s overcast and cloudy – not raining. Just grey skies and cool breezes. Again, I realize how weird this sounds.


TEN // Math. I know enough to balance my checkbook and that’s about it. Math and I have always had a tenuous relationship. True story: I was so bad at Geometry, my father begged my 9th grade Geometry teacher to pass me so that he (my dad) wouldn’t have to suffer through another semester of helping me. I kid you not. My dad literally had a parent/teacher conference to beg my teacher to pass me. Fortunately, my teacher had mercy on me and passed me but needless to say, math and I have always been on bad terms.


So how about you? What are some things you love and hate?
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment