03 November 2015

Halloween 2015 :: Princess Madeline's 1st Trick or Treat



Confession: I’m not a fan of Halloween.

As a kid, I was all into the holiday, so much so, that I made myself a Rubik’s Cube one year (it’s amazing what you can do with a cardboard box, a little construction paper and some glue). However, as I’ve gotten older, Halloween has lost its appeal and has become my least favorite holiday of the year.  

Having said this, when you have a child, and when said child is old enough to figure out what Halloween is all about, you can’t exactly say “Fuck Halloween!” and expect to get away with it. For the first three years of Chickie’s life, we managed to not get tangled up into the Halloween web - read, we haven’t celebrated Halloween. Honestly, I didn’t really see the point. I had zero interest in taking a baby out trick or treating when A. She was a baby, unable to even eat candy and B. Be out in the cold with a baby and risk getting sick? No way. So for the past three years it’s been no stress about costumes, no money wasted on buying candy that doesn’t get passed out because no children show up at the door, and no constant nagging of, “Mommy, can I have candy?” No muss, no fuss.

Truth be told, it’s been glorious.

Then year number four rolled around.

The kid caught on.



So like every good parent does, I sucked it up, put on my best Happy Halloween face and celebrated with my daughter this year.


Princess Madeline
 
Our neighborhood went all out with Halloween. It’s apparently one of the biggest and most anticipated events of the year for our little Pittsburgh suburb. The neighbors make haunted houses, dress up and even offer food and adult beverages to all the parents braving taking their kids out for the night. The last time I saw Halloween festivities like that, it was in the 1980’s. There were hundreds of people in our neighborhood and the vibe was nothing short of fun.


If I’m being completely honest, I had a great time – all credit due to my amazingly fun four year old. I’ve come to learn as a parent that doing and seeing things through her eyes again as an adult, makes life so much sweeter…


 And having a few extra Reese’s Cups to boot doesn’t hurt either.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment