19 November 2015

Mommy Confessions




ONE. Facebook isn’t fun anymore. Imagine this: there used to be a time when you could log onto Facebook and enjoy everyone’s happy pictures of kids, pets, homes and the occasional look-what-I’m-having-for-dinner pic. Get a happy announcement here and a gym update there and life was golden.

Now?

Now I’m lucky if I don’t feel like I’m arriving at a crime scene every time I log on. If it weren’t for my blog and keeping out of town family up to date on what we’re up to, I probably wouldn’t even be on Facebook. Needless to say, I’ve been hitting the un-follow, mute and ignore buttons more so than usual. 

TWO. Our sleeping situation. For a time, we finally had Maddy sleeping through the night in her own bed but lately, she has reverted back to coming to our bed a couple of nights a week and honestly…

I love it.

In parenting, you often read and talk a lot about sleep. No, really – it’s a running joke in the parenting world. I say joke because part of you is serious and the other part of you has to laugh to keep from crying. Most parents you talk to will swear up and down that “My child will never sleep in our bed” until they start to go without sleep.

You learn to eat those words pretty quickly. I know I did.

I love having that little warm body snuggled up against me and more times than not, she will roll over, wrap her arms around me and fall to sleep. I love it. I’ve actually found that I sleep better when she’s in bed with me so for now, I’m just going to enjoy it and go with the flow because I highly doubt that when she’s 15, she’ll still be sleeping with us. #Perspective
 
THREE. Butt wiping. Seriously, at what age should a child be able to wipe their own ass? It was cool in the beginning because, you know, she was a baby and all but now it’s getting to be a little bit awkward.

On Saturday night, we had guests for dinner and when Maddy excused herself to go to the bathroom (while loudly proclaiming she could go by herself because she’s a big girl), when she was done, she loudly yelled, “Mommy!!! I need you to wipe the poop off my butt!!” all to the amusement of my guests.

So really, someone give me an age because shit’s getting real old. Literally. 

FOUR. Maddy’s attitude. Lately, we’ve encountered a lot of the, “You’re so mean,” “I don’t like you,” and “I don’t love you” comments and while I know it’s a normal thing all young kids do and while I try to play it off like it doesn’t affect me, it really does kill me inside.  

FIVE. I’m so tired of dealing with food. It seems like life revolves around food decisions all. the. time. and I’m so tired of dealing with it. What am I going to fix for dinner? What do I need to pack for Chickie’s lunch? What am I going to eat for lunch? Meal plan this, meal plan that. Do we have enough milk and cereal for breakfast? I feel like half of my life is spent in the grocery store because I’m trying to constantly answer said questions above. Anyone else feel me on this or am I just crazy?

Don’t answer that. 

SIX. Speaking of food, do mini Butterfinger bars and a glass of wine count as dinner? I’m asking for a friend.  

Now it’s your turn. What do you have to confess? Share below!
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment