14 December 2015

Our Visit with Santa


Meeting Santa can be hit or miss for us. For weeks starting in November, I talked to Maddy about going to see Santa and for the most part, she was very receptive and excited however, I tried to not get my hopes up because I’ve seen how this whole scenario has gone down over the years.

Let’s recap, shall we?

In 2011, she was only five months old. I thought for sure that she would be freaked out by the sight of Santa but true to form, she proved me wrong. I plopped her on Santa’s lap and she let out the biggest laugh and smile that I’d ever seen…



2012 came and went and alas, we did not get a picture this year. I honestly don’t remember why.

Then 2013 rolled around and gave us this gem to remember always…



Last year in 2014, she was timid but agreed to get on Santa’s lap if mommy and daddy did too. When the photographer said, “Say cheese,” Chickie promptly stuck her tongue out. We keep it classy around these parts, friends.



This year, I couldn’t have asked for a better visit with Santa.


 Up until we went to visit the fat man in the red suit, she talked about how excited she was and even said, “Mommy, I’m not going to cry this year! I’m a big girl!” Knowing how she can be, I thought to myself, “We’ll see.”

True to form, she proved me wrong. As we stood in line, she seemed very much in awe of Santa and was still acting very brave. As we moved up in line, she started to become shyer and I thought to myself, “At any moment, this all could go south very quickly.”

But it didn’t.

Instead, she walked up to Santa bravely and smiled. Then got quiet and pretty much didn’t say a word. It was hands to mouth the entire time. To Santa’s credit, he was amazing. He was so gentle and inquisitive and really took his time with Maddy to make her feel comfortable and special.





She didn’t talk much, but it was such a great moment. She laughed here and there and I could really tell that despite her quiet and reserved demeanor, she loved her time with Santa. As we walked away, she proudly yelled, “See mama! I didn’t cry!”

Mission accomplished. Kid happy, parents not stressed and everyone made it out alive. 


How was your trip to see Santa?
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment