05 January 2016

10 Indoor Activities for Kids for Bad Weather Days

Let’s be honest right off the bat: who the hell really knows what to do with a toddler or preschooler all day indoors? Better yet, raise your hand if you’re one of the parents who feels like throwing yourself off a cliff when you wake up in the morning and see that you have ten feet of snow outside or that you’re stuck inside with a sick kiddo? If you guys are anything like us, a normal day at home includes being outside, whether that means we’re at the park, walking the neighborhood, playing in the yard or running errands, but what do you do when those options just aren’t possible whether it’s due to weather, sickness, etc?

Drink. #drinkallthewine

But seriously, is there anyone else out there that would rather have their eyeballs scooped out with a spoon than to be stuck inside all day with a very active child? It can really be challenging and to make our situation a little more difficult, my daughter really isn’t into crafting…like, not at all. She will putz around with crafting supplies for about a hot second and then she’s done so that one trick that most other moms have up their sleeves, my kid wants no part of. She would much rather be doing almost anything outside.

So what’s a momma to do? Well, I wish I had some brilliant answers for you but to be honest, I don’t. The things we do are probably no different or similar to what you do with your kids. I think the thing that helps the most to make a difference is the attitude we go with into our day. Sure, it’s a bummer that we aren’t able to go out but my philosophy has always been, “If we can’t get to the party, we’ll bring the party to us!” With that in mind, and with it being the time of the year where bad weather is imminent, I thought I would share some ideas on fun things to do with the kiddos inside to keep them happy and occupied.

10 Indoor Activities for Kids for Bad Weather Days. #parenting #indooractivities #kids #playtime


Lots of snuggle time. We’re able to slow things down a bit and reconnect. It’s a great feeling to snuggle up to your child and just “be” with them.

Baking and eating. Let me just say this: if we could win an Olympic medal in baking cookies and treats, we would win a gold medal.



Movies, movies, movies. An obvious choice but really, a necessity. I’m a firm believer that there’s nothing wrong with using the TV as a babysitter every now and then. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do!

Reading and quiet time.
 Maddy loves her book collection and I love that she enjoys reading so much. This goes back to snuggling as well. Get cozy with your kiddos on the sofa and enjoy a few books together. It’s great quality time and does seem to make the clock move faster.

Playing hide & go seek/running & chasing each other. Hide and seek is by far the funniest thing to play with Maddy. She doesn’t quite understand the concept completely so if you say, “Where’s Maddy hiding?” she’ll answer, “I’m right heeeeere!” It’s the funniest thing ever and I die each time she outs herself.

Play board games and do coloring books together. Maddy has just recently gotten into playing board games and it’s the perfect time to get some one on one interaction with her. She also enjoys coloring so we’ll spread out on the floor; she has her coloring book and I have mine and we’ll burn at least a good hour just by coloring and talking. It’s also a very soothing and therapeutic activity for both you and your child if you’re having “one of those days.” I highly recommend it!



Turn your hallway into a bowling alley! A while back, Maddy received a Monsters Inc. bowling set and we’ve used it many times to keep her occupied and happy. Don’t have one? If you recycle, you can take used soda bottles and set them up as pins. Find a ball and you’re good to go!

Building blocks. Chickie LOVES her blocks. I got a large bag of blocks from Target eons ago and I swear, there hasn’t been a day that’s gone by since that she hasn’t played with them. I love to watch her imagination come to life as she sits and figures out what she wants to build. Blocks can keep her busy till the end of time and I won’t lie, it’s a great break for me too as it allows me to have a little time to myself to either get a few things done around the house or do something I enjoy.

Sensory bowls & bins. When Maddy was a younger toddler, she loved playing in sensory bins with cups, spoons, measuring cups, etc. You don’t even really need to invest in buying a fancy sensory bin either. I always used Rubbermaid containers and bins and would go to the dollar store for boxes of rice, beans, felt and other different types of materials to throw in each bin. I always had those materials on hand so that I was able to make bins on the fly if I had to. Talk about being in heaven! She loved it and it kept her occupied and happy for hours.

Build a fort! Kids love forts. I mean, love them. Pop up a bowl of popcorn, throw some pillows and blankets in there and Boom! Instant awesome.

And for mom and dad, a few little treats along the way never hurt anyone to get through a day inside…



What ideas do you have to share on how you get your kids through the day when you’re stuck inside? I’m always looking for new ideas so please share!

Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment