07 January 2016

Three Thoughts on Thursday

Three Thoughts on Thursday. #parenting #motherhood #kids #SAHM #workingmoms


If we were sitting down for a cup of coffee together this morning, this is what I’d share with you… 

As much as I love the holidays, I’m happy to be back into our normal routine. The holidays are great but they are also exhausting. On one hand, you have the excitement and fun of being with the littles and family during Christmas but then you have disorder; sleep schedules gone awry, routines interrupted and just an overall free for all. Needless to say, my OCD tendencies are a lot happier when there is order and routine in place.

This June I turn 40 {whatttttt} and to be honest, it really kind of snuck up on me. I mean, 40? Really? I distinctly remember turning 30 like it was yesterday. I had Maddy at 35 and now 40? Forty is a pretty defining age, in my opinion. That’s half of 80. EIGHTY. It feels like I’ve run through 40 years in the blink of an eye that I can’t imagine the next forty going by so fast, but it will and while it’s easy to wonder where all the time has gone, I choose to embrace it and keep moving. It’s better than the alternative, right? Yes, I’m one year closer to AARP knocking on my door but honestly, I don’t feel 40. In my mind, I feel young but maybe that’s because I still laugh at fart noises and love riding the kid coasters in amusement parks. Having a four year old also does wonders for keeping you young. Tired, but young. Maddy reminds me every day to kick back, remain silly and look at life like a child so let’s do this forty. I ain’t scared!

Maddy has recently been dealing with a mean girl at school {does this shit really start at the age of four?} and I really have to watch how I handle it and how I talk with her about how to deal with it. My forty year old, too-old-to-put-up-with-that-shit initial reaction is to tell Maddy to give this girl the finger and keep it moving but I know I can’t do that. I have to be the responsible parent and give her the tools she’ll need to deal with this kind of thing for life but it makes me sad that this even has to happen. Ladies, there’s plenty of room for all of us!


So that’s what’s on my mind at the moment. What would you share over a hot cup of joe? 
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment