11 May 2016

4 Bad Habits Bloggers Need to Stop Now

As a blogger and marketing professional, I see a lot of nasty little blog habits floating around on the Internet every day. In order to gain readers, sponsorships and notoriety, we abandon our own instincts, style and voice and instead, make it a habit to follow trends or what we perceive to be the “it” thing at the moment.

Don't get me wrong - I love blogging and I love my blog BUT if I'm being honest, we all have some really bad blogging habits that need to cease and desist. I know that I've been guilty of these four things in the past but I'm working on getting over it and moving forward. 



Stifling Your Voice

I've said it before and I will say it again: what is the point of having a blog if you aren't willing to be true to yourself and your content? If you're not willing to write about the things you want to write about and the issues that are important to you, why are you blogging? 

Often times as bloggers, I think we fall into this horrible trap of believing that in order to get and maintain readers and sponsors, we have to think a certain way, write a certain way and keep everyone happy.


LAME. 


I don't know about you, but I can spot a fake blogger from a mile away. My bullshit radar is so honed in to fake that I simply refuse to invest my time into people who aren't willing to be who they are. Give me a person who is flawed, open and genuine with their readers and I'll be a fan for life. That’s how you get and retain your readers. As for fear of blowing big opportunities? Stop. I cuss. I hit on topics that to some, should be avoided all together or not talked about. I pretty much keep my freak flag waving at all times and guess what? Huffington Post, Scary Mommy and Blogher have all come calling and I still receive lots of offers to work with different brands and companies. The only risk you’re taking in not being who you are is not staying true to you and that’s just not cool.


Do you. We all know life isn't roses all the time. You’re human so don't be afraid to show it. Find your voice as a blogger and let it roar. Be yourself and get your own style because that's what people respect. People don't want perfect - we want to be able to relate to you and perfect isn't it. At the end of the day, you're only accountable to you.



Pettiness

This one is pretty simple. Means Girls is a TV show. It shouldn't be a way of life. Shit's getting old, you guys. Enough said?


Stressing About Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, GFC Followers, Blah Blah Blah...

Are you waking up each morning genuinely disappointed that you haven't racked up a million followers overnight? Get over it. You're not Lady GaGa. 

It's very simple: some days you're up and some days you're down. It's called life. Your blog and Internet presence will take time to grow. Stop checking your blog stats a million times a day. What are you really expecting to find? Seriously, just stop. Don't we all have bigger fish to fry than constantly fretting over these things? 


Give it time. You will get there.


Stop Thinking You Are the Smartest Person on the Web

Do you blog about budgeting and finance? Great! I’m sure the single mother with 2 kids can teach you a thing or two about living on one paycheck for a whole month.

So you’re a professional chef with a food blog? Excellent! I bet the untrained, home cook has a few recipes and tricks in the kitchen to share.

Simply being a blogger doesn’t make you an authority or an expert on the issues and topics you write about. What it does make you is lucky that there are people who want to read what you have to say. Everyone has a unique story to tell and advice to share. It’s amazing what you can learn from others if you simply take the time to stop and listen.


I’d love to learn from you! What are some blogging habits that you feel need to stop?
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment