12 May 2016

Three Thoughts on Thursday



Over Mother’s Day weekend, Facebook executive Sheryl Sandburg openly admitted through a post on her own Facebook page that she got parts of her best-selling book “Lean In,” wrong. Specifically, that she didn’t realize just how hard it is to throw everything you have into your employer when you’re a single parent. Unfortunately, she found this to be true when her own husband passed away last year. For Sandburg, she began to see firsthand the reality that the majority of working parents, whether they are single or have a partner to raise kids, deal with on a daily basis; that “leaning in” is unrealistic and short-sighted.

First and foremost, kudos to Sandburg for having the guts and courage to admit her mistake in such a public and open way. Rarely do we ever see celebrities or notable people in society admit when they’re wrong so when it happens, allow me to give credit where credit is due. Admitting when you’re wrong is never easy but to do it in such a public way? Yes, total respect earned. Moving forward, I’m not going to focus on the mistakes made. The Lord knows I’ve made plenty so who am I to judge? What I am focused on and looking forward to is how Sandburg plans to use her influence and notoriety to help working parents in this country. Now that she knows the reality, I’m hoping she will put her fame to good use and be a proponent for change.


Speaking of working professionals, let’s talk about LinkedIn for a hot second. I used to really enjoy scrolling through my LinkedIn timeline. I used to love reading and learning about new trends in the marketing world. I used to love seeing updates on former co-workers or employees who have moved on to bigger and better things. I used to love making connections and networking through this social medium.

So why do I keep using the term “used to?”

Because sooooo many people have seriously derailed from the sanity train in using LinkedIn. I’ll be the first to admit that: A. I’m hardcore old-school where using LinkedIn is concerned. Keep it 100% professional because after all, it is your online resume that anyone can access, especially current and future employers and B. I’m no prude. I think if you’ve spend any amount of time on my blog, you know this. HOWEVER…

LinkedIn has turned SO POLITICAL. I guess it’s the nature of things, right? It’s an election year so the overabundance of political posts, commentary and bashing was bound to happen. I can digest it on Facebook and Twitter but LinkedIn? NO. Let me just lay it out like this: If you wouldn’t say it in an interview or to your boss, IT SHOULDN’T BE ON LINKEDIN.


Can I tell you guys how much I love my chiropractor? After Maddy was born, I developed horrible, horrible bursitis in both my hips. For a while, I managed the inflammation and pain with cortisone shots every six months but truthfully, it wasn’t my first choice of treatment. In January, I accepted a position as the marketing director for Pittsburgh’s largest health and wellness center, began chiropractic treatment and have never looked back.

I went to a chiropractor yearrrrrrs ago – as in during my college years and to say the least, he was horrible so I’ve been hesitant to go back. I really wish I had set that fear aside sooner because I could have been feeling better faster and without using so many drugs. If you’ve ever contemplated chiropractic care, I urge you to check it out. It has been a HUGE lifesaver for me and can be used to heal so many ailments, aches and pains in a natural way. Most chiropractors also treat babies and children! As someone who was hesitant to try chiropractic care, I can tell you that it’s something I will never go without again.


What’s on your mind today?
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment