26 May 2016

Three Thoughts on Thursday

Three Thoughts on Thursday. #parenting #workingmoms


ONE. Let’s talk about Chewbacca mom for a hot second. I’m just going to be “that person” and say out loud that I genuinely have zero clue why this woman has gone viral. I also have less of an understanding of why her video is considered “funny.” Am I all for joy? Absolutely. Is it the little things that sometimes mean a lot? Yes! But as I watched her video, I honestly starred at my screen with a blank look on my face. It was definitely an *insert cricket noises here* kind of moment. I wanted desperately to like it. I tried so hard to find the humor in it but…nope. So if you’re reading this and have been thinking the same thing but have feared saying anything for concern of backlash, there. I said it. And I regret NOTHING.

TWO. Because I have zero shame, allow me a moment to shamelessly plug my article, “Why I’m Not Trying to Raise an ‘Exceptional’ Child” which is being featured on Scary Mommy today. It should be kick-you-in-your-crotch kind of fun. No, seriously. The readers of SM are kinda just that – scary. It’s a phenomenal platform to be published on but the downside is having to deal with the occasional Internet troll and of course, the sanctimommies. Having said this, I give zero fucks. I write what I write and I stand by every word.

THREE. Today, Maddy “graduates” preschool. I don’t know how much you can really consider it a “graduation” per se; she’s not getting a diploma and is not “certified” in any kind of particular skill-set however, to me, it still feels like an accomplishment and a milestone worth celebrating. Let’s be honest – raising kids is HARD. It’s like waking up every day only to be hit in the face with a 2x4 over and over again kind of hard so you can bet your sweet ass that any chance I get to celebrate the good stuff, I’m going to take it. In as much as she has grown and learned so many cool things to prepare her for Kindergarten, I feel like this is a celebration for her father and me too. We’ve been through a lot these last four years; between the sleepless nights, teething, potty-training, surviving the terrible threes and the horrible fours and so much more, I feel like we’ve accomplished something worth celebrating too – we survived, and sometimes, that’s enough.


So how about you? What’s on your mind this week? 
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment