09 June 2016

6 Things You Should Never Share on the Internet

Oh, the Internet.

A brilliant and amazing hot mess collection of all things fun, annoying and interesting.

And while the Internet is without a doubt one of the best inventions and resources known to man, it is also the most annoying, frustrating and mind-boggling, due largely in part by how it’s used.

Yes, we get a lot of great things from the Internet; recipes {you guys see how quickly I go right to the food?}, parenting advice, news and current events and so much more. Unfortunately, we also get the not-so-great posts and sharing of information that most of us could go our whole lives without seeing, and that’s what I’d like to talk about today. I know this post has been written a million times in a million different ways, but it bears repeating once more because damn – some people just don’t get it. How anyone can live in the year 2016 and not understand that the Internet is PERMANENT is beyond me.

6 Things You Should Never Share on the Internet. #parenting #Internet #workingmoms

ONE. Potty Training Pics. Having gone through the potty training phase, I get it, I really do. There’s nothing you want more than to shout from the highest mountain, “I did it! My child can pee in a toilet!” but really, we can all go without seeing that shit {literally}. There is nothing I hate more than happily scrolling through my social media feeds, enjoying the pics of everyone’s cute kids and lives to only be met with that one God awful kid sitting on the shitter picture. And you get extra lame-o points if you caption said picture with something like, “Oh my God, I know this may sound silly but I just think my child is the cutest when she’s on the potty!”

Don’t laugh. I have seen this with my own eyes. Cut that shit out.


TWO. It Works! Wrap Pictures. Let me say this first and foremost. Congrats on your budding business and weight loss. Truly, all good things to be proud of, but what’s not cool? Those mid-section wrap pictures you guys like to whip out on us un-expectantly. No one needs to see anyone’s muffin top wrapped up in plastic like a Thanksgiving ham. I’ve seen private parts, scars and enough stretch marks to last a lifetime, and I say this as a woman with extra weight, a C-section scar and stretch marks. Want to lose me as a follower? This is the quickest way to do it. Put a wrap on your follower count and watch it shrink.

Cut that shit out.


THREE. Farmville Game Requests. I’m amazed that even after as long as Facebook has been around, people still play this game. For the 100th time, No, I do not want to help you plow your fields. No, I don’t care that your pigs need fed. NO – I don’t want to play. Stop complaining you never have any time and very simply…

Cut that shit out.


FOUR. Posting Facebook Legal Notices, Spam and Taking Satirical Stories Seriously. For those of you who struggle with this, let me give you a tip. There’s this nifty little site you can go to called Snopes.com to look up whether or not a story is legit or fake. It takes all of two seconds to type in your query and voila! Instant answers to whether or not what you’re getting ready to post is factual or fake. For quick reference:

·         Facebook legal notices are fake. When you sign up to use Facebook, you agree to any and all of their terms of use. Don’t like it? Delete your profile and stop using Facebook. It’s as simple as that.
·         Satirical sites such as The Onion.com are meant for humor and sarcasm, nothing more.
·         Stop clicking on links that say “You won’t believe what this dad found his daughter doing!” These are scams and attempts hackers make to get to your computer. Plus, we all get a notice on our timeline of what you tried to watch. #embarrassing #awkward

Bottom line, cut that shit out.


FIVE. Complaining About Your Boss & Job. Every time I see one of these posts, it takes everything I have to not comment, “You are an idiot.” Sure, you feel all big and bad sitting behind that keyboard venting about your personal issues but imagine how you’re going to feel when your boss finds out and as a result, you’re jobless. Extra lame-o points go to those of you who also post these comments – from where else – your office...where your company has the right to scan your computer any time they want. Keep complaining publically about how much you hate your job and guess what? You just might not have it to worry about.

I’ve seen it happen. Cut that shit out.


SIX. Posting Personal Information on Professional Sites. There is a reason the old saying, “Don’t mix business with pleasure” is still relevant. No potential or current employer wants to see links to the party you went to on Friday night where you were completely inebriated. Nor do they want to see your drama, dating issues or anything of the like. Keep your LinkedIn profile professional, bottom line. If it isn’t business related, it shouldn’t be there – period.

You know what to do… Cut that shit out.


Do you have things that you feel shouldn’t be shared on social media or the Internet? What drives you crazy to see? 
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment