01 November 2016

Our Halloween




Confession: I’ve never been a fan of Halloween. It sits at the very bottom of my holiday list. Sure, when I was a kid, it was amazing but as I grew up, it kind of just fell to the wayside. Up until five years ago, I would give out candy to the neighborhood kids but that was pretty much it. I don’t decorate for Halloween and I don’t dress up.


That was until Maddy came along.


Halloween has a different meaning now that I get the chance to experience it through my daughter’s eyes. While I’ll never really love Halloween, it’s been fun to see Maddy’s excitement about it all. Kids have a wonderfully sneaky way of changing us at times and on this, I have no complaints. Besides, she can’t eat all that candy on her own, right?


A few months ago when I asked Maddy what she wanted to be for Halloween, she immediately said, “Owlet from PJ Masks!” I kind of had the feeling that’s what she would say because it’s her favorite show lately. What I wasn’t expecting was for her to also say, “And you can be Gecko and daddy can be Cat Boy!” So I did what every good mom does: bought the Owlet costume then drank all the wine and bought costumes for mommy and daddy, and I have to admit, I had a great time. Our neighborhood really gets into Halloween so I think that really makes a difference in enjoying the festivities. One neighbor builds a mini haunted house and most adults who give out candy also give beer and wine to the parents, too. How can you not love that?!


Halloween 2016, you were so good to us. "PJ Masks all shout hooray, into the night we save the day!"











How was your spooky night? 
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment