20 December 2016

3 Unique Ways to Keep the Spirit of Christmas All Year

Every year when the Christmas holiday comes to an end, I always get a little sad and borderline depressed taking down my decorations and packing away the spirit of the season. There is something about the nostalgia and ambiance of Christmas that makes me extremely happy. I really hate to see it go. 


A couple of Christmases ago while I was starting to take decorations down around our home, I was telling this to Michael over dinner and he very simply looked at me and said, “Then don’t take it down. Why would you want to take away your happiness?”


Valid question and point.


I had never thought about it this way before. I’ve always taken our tree and decorations down at the end of the holiday season because “That’s what you’re supposed to do,” like we are programmed robots or small children still following the rules of life set by mom and dad.



If there’s one thing you should know about me, it’s that I really, really hate following silly rules and guidelines set by society. I mean, really. Who makes up these ridiculous “rules” anyway? Things like, “Don’t wear white after Labor Day” and that kind of nonsense. Whatever happened to live and let live?


So, friends, that’s what we’ve been doing. For the last year, we’ve been celebrating the Christmas spirit throughout the year. The tree stayed up (it’s fake) and we’re going to enjoy all the happy feelings all year long. I’m also going to use this as an opportunity to grow on some other goals, like philanthropy and community service, that I had set for myself and Maddy this year. These three tips on how to keep the spirit of Christmas all year are things you can easily incorporate into your everyday life to bring out all the happy.


These three tips on how to keep the spirit of Christmas all year are things you can easily incorporate into your everyday life to bring out all the happy.



ONE. Take More Time for Coffee Breaks. During Christmas, everyone loves to share their IG pictures of themselves sitting by the tree on a cozy evening while enjoying the glow of lights and the peaceful ambiance it gives. Why not do that more often during the year? I’m all for bringing in as much peace and love as possible to our home and can’t think of a better way to do it than by taking time to sit and just “be.”


TWO. Hanging on to Wonder. This also includes implementing and preserving creativity, optimism, hope and charity long after Santa, the gifts and the decorations departs. To quote Mr. Cringle from Miracle on 34th Street:

“Oh, Christmas isn't just a day, it's a frame of mind... and that's what's been changing. That's why I'm glad I'm here, maybe I can do something about it.” 


THREE. Being a Little More Generous and Giving. By nature, I’m a thrifty cheap person. I shop at the Dollar Store as much as possible, coupon clip and pinch every penny where I can. Having said this, when the holidays come around, I’m the first one to act like Daddy Warbucks by giving my extra change to the Salvation Army ringers, Angle trees, food drives and more. For some reason during the holiday season, I believe I have more money than I do any other time of the year and I’m less afraid to hand it over so why the hesitancy the remaining time of the year? While I’m not going to bust the bank, or put my family in financial jeopardy, I am going to make a more conscience effort to focus in on charities and organizations I believe in and do what I can to help support those in need. 


So, as I sit here and listen to my holiday music station on Pandora, I can’t help but to think that the Vince Guraldi Trio had it right along…



“Oh, that we could always see such spirit through the year.”



Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment