02 January 2017

My Parenting Goals for 2017

I like to stay on top of my game and constantly assess where I am as a parent and how I can best help Maddy develop into the kind of woman and adult I want her to be. It’s also about making sure that I give her the best possible childhood experience because when it’s all said and done, she only gets one.
I try my best not to bog myself down with a lot of unrealistic expectations for a new year but where parenting is concerned, I like to stay on top of my game and constantly assess where I am as a parent and how I can best help Maddy develop into the kind of woman and adult I want her to be. It’s also about making sure that I give her the best possible childhood experience because when it’s all said and done, she only gets one. 

So let’s roll. 


More Patience. Every year, my daughter is getting older which means morepush back, more back talk and a healthy dose of testing her boundaries andlimitations. I wish I could say I handle it beautifully with style and grace but I can’t. Many, many times I lose my patience and in looking back, I know I could have done a lot better. This year, my goal is not for perfection, but patience; for the ability to recognize better within myself when I need to just take a breath and let things be. I have to remember that my child is only five, not fifteen. She is still learning, and so am I. Patience all around is a gift for her and I both. 


Establish an allowance system and start teaching about money. To some extent, we have started this a little bit but this year, I would love to really get into the thick of it. Maddy is a great helper. Actually, one of the things that makes her happiest is when you ask her to do something, ask for her help or when I get her involved in a project or chore that I’m working on. It makes her feel needed and I want to nurture that while taking the opportunity to teach her about responsibility, money and how the two go hand in hand. It’s important to me that Maddy has a strong work ethic and a respect for money (not something I’ve always had) so I think that introducing these things now is key. 


Cut back on frivolous purchases and toys. Along the same lines as money, I really want to cut back onthe amount of toys and random crap we buy for Maddy. If I’m being honest, we do this way too much. We can be in Target and she’ll find something that strikes her fancy and without thinking, nine times out of ten I’ll buy it for her. This needs to stop. In correlation with allowance, I need to be better about saying, “You have $10 saved in your piggy bank. Is this really what you want to spend your money on?” I think that teaching her how to save and spend appropriately sets her up for financial success in the future. I don’t want my daughter thinking that everything will always be given to her. It’s important to me that she understands having to work hard to earn things so I need to be better about teaching this and setting the example.


Set up a college fund and savings. When she turns 18, I’d like to be able to send my daughter out into the world with a sense of financial security. If she chooses to go to college, great. If not, she will still have the money available to her to accomplish whatever her dreams or goals may be. I really don’t want her saddled in student loan debt. I have it and it is a nightmare and anxiety I deal with all the time. 


Get Maddy involved in extracurricular activities. This is something I haven’t stressed about over the last five years but it’s definitely time that Maddy becomes involved in a few extra activities. She will be starting first grade (WHAT) this fall and I really want her to be involved as much as possible. I’m thinking dance classes, swim lessons this summer and maybe a sport if she finds one she’d like to try. 




This is what I’m aiming for this year to step up my parenting game. What about you? Do you have any goals or ideas of things that you would like to accomplish this year as a parent? 
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment