28 October 2013

Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup

 


We enjoyed this meal last night and honestly, if I could get away with making it every night I would. That's how good it is. 

This soup is so delectable and very easy on the budget., too. How easy you ask? How about only 4 ingredients, 15 minute prep time, cooks for 5 hours on its own easy? You can't get much better than that! Plus, I think this recipe is pretty versatile; if you want to switch it up, you can. I know people who've added things like bacon bits, veggies, ham, etc. to this soup and it is delicious! 

Here's What You'll Need:
2, 10oz. Cans Campbell's Cheese Soup*
4 cans of Cream of Celery soup*
1 quart of half and half*
2, 10oz. bags of frozen broccoli

*If you want a healthier alternative, you can always substitute the lower-fat, lower sodium soups and low-fat half and half in this recipe - still delicious! AND...if you're looking for a smaller amount, you can also cut this recipe in half!

Budget:
$15 - feeds a family of 3 for ~3 days. 

How You'll Make It:
Start by placing your broccoli in a covered microwave safe dish and cook on high for about 4 minutes, according to the bag's instructions. This should be just enough time for your broccoli to thaw out so you can chop it.

(Don't you just love this old school kitchen ware? No, seriously - I love mine!)

Once cooked, place your broccoli in a food processor and use the chop setting to cut up the broccoli into small pieces. 

Once completed, place the broccoli and all the remaining ingredients in your crock pot and stir until it is all mixed.



Cook on low setting for 5 hours, stirring occasionally. 



That's. It.

The only thing left to do is plate and eat and trust me - you will. A lot.



Optional
Around the 4th hour, I like to put in about 3 large fist-fulls of grated mild cheddar cheese. It adds a depth and flavor that is amazing. You can also use it as garnish as well if you feel like you need more cheese. ;-)

I have also experimented by adding some garlic powder, black pepper, and just a tiny hint of cayenne pepper and it's also very delicious. If you want it, the cayenne pepper gives it a slight kick. 

So that's it! One day, I'm going to make my own crusty bread to go along with for dipping. Can you just imagine how yummmmmy that will be?! Alas, all we had on hand last night were Ritz Crackers but it was so delicious nonetheless. 

Make sure to add this soup to your go-to recipes for this winter! Trust me, you won't go wrong and your belly will thank you for it on long cold winter nights. 
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

8 comments:

  1. YUM!!! I am going to try this soon!! Happy Monday, friend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it! Especially good on those snowy Maine days that I know you and Chad will have again! Have a wonderful week, friend! XO

      Delete
  2. Sweet Jesus... this. sounds. amazing. My bf can't have dairy, but he is going out of town for work soon, this shall be on my menu!

    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this recipe! I made it for my family last night for dinner and it was a HUGE success and so easy to make! I can't wait to have it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and I'm so happy you liked my recipe! Check back often for new recipes and all of them can also be found under my 'Eats' tab on the homepage. Enjoy!

      Delete
  4. This post is so old but I just stumbled upon this on Pinterest! Have you had any experience freezing the soup? I'm going to make it Friday, but I want to know if I can freeze the extras! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cassandra, thanks for stopping by. Yes, I have frozen this recipe and when I reheated, it still tasted fabulous. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How big of a crock pot do you have to use??

    ReplyDelete