22 July 2016

Dear Maddy: On Sunday, You Will Be Five

Every day, you’re leaving me, you're transforming, just like the chrysalis we found on the frame of our front door a month ago. You're growing up so quickly and it’s a harsh reminder of how fleeting it all is, your childhood. It’s so much fun to watch you grow up yet, it’s so sad to know that you’re no longer my baby. I’m so proud of you, Maddy. Every day with you is special. Every day with you is magical. Every day with you is loud, crazy, chaotic and tiring but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m so proud to be your mama and I know that you are going to do amazing things in this world. I can’t wait to see what they are.   Happy 5th birthday, Chickie. I love you, always and forever.



Over the past year, you’ve experienced so much change. We moved to Pittsburgh. You started a new school, where you learned about a chrysalis and how it changes into a beautiful butterfly. 

And on Sunday, you will be five.

I remember very clearly the day I saw your transformation. It was an evening at home. I was in the kitchen cooking dinner and you walked in and asked, “Mama, can I please watch Paw Patrol?” I told you yes as I handed you a plate of grapes and we walked into the living room. You sat down, crossed your legs like a little lady and placed the plate on your lap. “Thank you, mama,” you said as I got the show for you. As I turned to walk back into the kitchen, I looked at you. At five, you’re long and lean, there is no baby fat or baby rolls left on you. Most times when you sit, you sit with your legs crossed. Your wisps of baby hair have blossomed into full-grown curls and your face has transformed from the happy-go-lucky baby and toddler I once knew to full-blown little girl: curious, thoughtful and beautiful. It was at this point that I realized you had turned from toddler to little girl right before my eyes.





You’ve gone through so many changes over the past year and I’m always amazed at your ability to adapt so quickly. When I think of you, I still picture the helpless baby that was placed in my arms five years ago needing me to take care of everything but you are anything but helpless. On your first day at your new school, you marched in and started making friends right off the bat, even though most of your classmates already had their cliques and groups formed. When I talk to you about your day, you say things like, “It was good” or “We played P.J. Masks” and I get the rundown of who sat with whom at lunch or who played with whom during the day. It’s like we’re old bff’s chatting and exchanging gossip and I love it. A while back, you had a stretch of dealing with the mean girls and the infamous Ethan and it made my heart hurt so badly. I remember being the target for mean girls growing up and how it made me feel but as always, you took it in stride and still offered up your friendship to all of them. To hear you talk about them today, all is good. You’re friends with all of them. They are coming to your birthday party this weekend. My heart doesn’t hurt anymore.

When you talk, it’s no longer the mumblings of a baby or toddler. You say grown-up things like, “Actually” and “I have a great idea” in complete sentences. You prefer to listen to music from the 70’s and 80’s and love to play the drums. You count to 100 and ask the most thought-provoking questions for a five-year-old like, “Where did I come from?” Seriously, this one threw me for a complete loop. You’ve learned to write your name, you know you’re address and you know your alphabet. We’re still working on our telephone number but I don’t have any doubt you will pick it up quickly. You are so curious about everything to the point of exhaustion at times and you love school so much that on the weekends, you make your father and I to play it with you. We take turns being the teacher and the student and you love it. You are a true Leo to your core; fearless, charismatic, powerful and bossy. You like things to be “just so” and are quick to correct your father, me and anyone else if it isn’t to your liking or just perfect. You love to read books, play with your blocks, blow bubbles and attempt to ride the dog like a horse. You get your sense of humor, which is an absolute riot, from your daddy and your straightforwardness from me. You enjoy being with other kids but really, you’re a pact animal, and prefer to be with mommy and daddy all the time. I won’t complain.

Your first official program for school was this past Christmas – the school’s annual Christmas show. You were an angel, literally. You sang songs, danced and did all kind of cute things that kids your age do for a Christmas program. Five months later, you had your first graduation. I’m pretty sure I cried through both of these programs. You love to be outside doing anything yet, are such a girlie girl. You love dresses, getting your nails done and all things pink.





In all of the wonderful and amazing things you’ve done over the past year, you’ve also challenged us as well. You’ve discovered yourself and your independence and love to assert both as much as possible. You talk back. You don’t listen. You like to argue everything your father and I tell you to do like a seasoned negotiator. I have yet to figure out if this is who you are or if it’s a stage in your development. Probably a little bit of both. I have to beg you to take a bath, brush your teeth and get dressed in the morning. You love to run around naked and while I still think it’s super cute, I know we’re getting to the age where it’s borderline inappropriate and that makes me sad.

Every day, you’re leaving me, you're transforming, just like the chrysalis we found on the frame of our front door a month ago. You're growing up so quickly and it’s a harsh reminder of how fleeting it all is, your childhood. It’s so much fun to watch you grow up yet, it’s so sad to know that you’re no longer my baby. I’m so proud of you, Maddy. Every day with you is special. Every day with you is magical. Every day with you is loud, crazy, chaotic and tiring but I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’m so proud to be your mama and I know that you are going to do amazing things in this world. I can’t wait to see what they are.

Happy 5th birthday, Chickie. I love you, always and forever.


Love,
Mommy
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup
Courtney @ Shiraz In My Sippy Cup

Courtney is a published author, mom, taco enthusiast, and a Star Wars and Tennessee Volunteers fanatic. She's never met a piece of sushi she didn’t like and enjoys an amazing glass of wine and a great cut of meat. You can read more of her wine-induced, sleep-deprived adventures on The Huffington Post and Scary Mommy.

No comments:

Post a Comment